Friday, July 20, 2012

Race Rambling

Lots of race talk today!


Chicago Half Marathon
Thanks to Nina, I won a free entry to the Chicago Half Marathon on Sunday, September 9! 


It will be the fourth half marathon I run this year, which is a huge accomplishment for me.  The timing of the Chicago Half Marathon is also perfect within my marathon training schedule (wonder if the organizers planned it that way?)  I am super excited because now I will be able to complete the Windy City Challenge, too!

Some personal history as it relates to the Chicago Half Marathon:


The Chicago Half Marathon was the first half marathon I ever ran many, many moons ago.  Two friends and I were discussing on a Tuesday night how we thought a marathon would be incredibly difficult to do, but that a half marathon seemed doable.  (All three of us were accustomed to running about 6 or 7 miles at the time.)  Then one of my friends called the next night and said, "The Chicago Half Marathon is this Sunday.  Want to go for it?"  We all decided on a whim to sign up for it that Thursday.  Then all three of us went out and ran the Chicago Half Marathon just three days later... with pretty much zero training. 

It wasn't pretty.  In fact, it was downright ugly.  But all three of us did all finish.  Never mind that there was considerable trouble walking for a good week afterwards.  Bygones!

Lesson learned:  Training is kind of important.

Cookie Classic 5K
I was in Girl Scouts when I was much younger!  And Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana has asked me to share with you that they are hosting a new 5k race this September! 


Here are the details:

Girl Scouts is launching a movement to achieve gender equity in leadership in just one generation. This mission bursts into action on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, with Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana’s inaugural Cookie Classic 5k in Chicago’s Grant Park.  It is a great race for beginners, an enjoyable race for seasoned veterans, and an event to which you can bring the whole family! Each runner receives a box of Girl Scout cookies and a T-shirt, and there is a celebration afterward with food, entertainment, and fun. Interested participants can register here.

Sadly I will be out of town that day so I won't be able to run this race myself.  But if anyone has an extra box or twenty of Thin Mint Cookies, I would be happy to take them off of your hands.  (Yes, yes, someone's gotta deal with all those extra cookies and I'm a very noble person.  When you look in the dictionary under the definition of "philanthrophic" you'll see my picture.  =P )


Mad Dash to Madison
I've been debating back and forth on whether or not to sign up for this race, which takes place in conjunction with the annual Blackhawks Training Camp Festival. 


I've already got so many races on the calendar this year.  Plus, this race takes place two weeks before the Chicago Marathon.  I am also realizing more and more that I am not a huge fan of the 5K distance in general - I prefer longer races.  But this race is hosted by the Blackhawks!  Normally I don't care very much about race t-shirts - but this one I would love because it'll have a Hawks logo!  If ever there was a race that I should run because of my rabid fandom of the organizers, it would be this one.

Tickets to the Festival go on sale today and will probably sell out quickly.  Unfortunately, Mad Dash registration will not be opening until later.  However, registration for the Mad Dash does include entry into the festival.

What to do?  What to do?

Rock N Roll Chicago Half Marathon
Coming up this Sunday!  I've been looking forward to running this race for several weeks.  It's got easy logistics and the course runs right past my home! 


I am heading to the race expo shortly for packet pickup.  This is actually the first true race expo that I will have ever attended (the tiny "expos" with two booths don't count).  I am very excited to check out some of the vendor booths that will be there (namely, runDisney).

The weather is not supposed to be great this Sunday.  High temperatures are going to be in the 90s again.  Thankfully I am finally getting to the point where I'm somewhat accustomed to running in the heat and humidity.  However, one of these days it really would be nice to run a half marathon with ideal weather conditions. 

I seriously can't wait for fall... cooler temps, hockey season, that crispness in the air... sigh.  But that's a ramble for another day.

Happy Racing and Happy Friday to all!!!

8 comments:

  1. I was just going to ask you when you're going to the expo, but after reading above I answered my own question :) I'm going tomorrow morning.

    Congrats on winning the Chicago Half giveaway! I thought it was perfect timing last year before the big CM.

    Good luck this weekend! I hope to make it to the meetup, but I also live very close by and like rolling up to the races at the last minute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rolling up to races at the last minute, too! No need to hang around waiting in line for portapotties when you can use your own facilities. I didn't end up making it to either of the meetups, but it sounds like it was so chaotic at the start of the race anyways. But for sure we will meet up in person at one of these races SOON!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh I am so nervous for Sunday's race!! High temps do not agree with me unfortunately so I'll have to take it super slow on race day. I'm excited for the Expo though (I'm going tomorrow) - it will be my first one ever! Let me know how you like it and what booths I should visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High temps do not agree with me either and it frustrates me to have to go so slow on race days! I cannot wait for fall to come - we are all going to be speed demons once cooler temps finally do start to hit! I had a great time at the expo - I really enjoyed the nondairy dessert samples in particular. But I also enjoyed all the free samples of GU, Clifshots, Nuun, etc. And somehow I signed up for a CARA membership renewal and some additional races... oops! =D

      Delete
  3. Good luck at RNR! I'm rooting for you! The Girl Scout 5k sounds so cool! And you get a box of cookies?! I want to do it!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amy!!! The Girl Scout race is an ingenious idea, isn't it? Who wouldn't want to run for Girl Scout cookies!?!?!?!?!?

      Delete
  4. You have to do Mad Dash! You HAVE to! :)

    SO excited you won a Chicago Half entry! I am doing that one too :) My first time! I cannot believe you guys signed up on a whim like that. Craziness ;)

    So happy to hear you are getting more accustomed to the heat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, you are definitely helping to tip the scales into the "YES" column. I like it. =D

      I am so excited that we'll both be running the Chicago Half Marathon!!! We will DEFINITELY have to get together before and after the race. It is going to be a great time and I am so excited for what will hopefully be cooler temps by that time! (Although, I guess with the way the summer has progressed, one never knows... but we can always hope! =) )

      Delete