Wednesday, September 5, 2012

New and (hopefully) improved

I finally had the time to add some new tabs to my blog!  Check out:


(I'll probably eventually change "Upcoming Races" to just "Races" and include links to my race recaps.)

New, but the jury is still out on "improved."

Beyond the new additions to my blog, I've got a plethora of other new things on the horizon this month:

Skirting the Issue
I've only ever worn shorts, capris, or tights to run.  I've never worn a running skirt of any sort.  I always thought they were a little too girly for me.  However, I've grown weary of my shorts riding up on me and chafing my thighs, necessitating the use of massive quantities of BodyGlide.  I've also heard countless testimonials as to just how comfortable running skirts are.  Erin even posted today about running gear today with some great suggestions on where to look for running skirts.  So I think I might finally take the plunge and give the running skirt a go!

Schwaggling for Handfuls
Many months ago I signed up to get emails from Schwaggle (basically the fitness community's equivalent of Groupon).  I have never taken advantage of any of their offerings until just recently, when I got a Handful sports bra for almost 60% off.  This is the first time that I've invested in what I consider to be a really top-notch sports bra, and it's very nice.

The Changing of the Seasons
After months of brutal heat and humidity, the Chicago Half Marathon this Sunday is predicted to have pretty good weather.  Current forecast: daytime high temps in the low 70s, with early-morning race-time temps likely in the upper 50s or 60s.  If this holds true, it'll be the first opportunity in over a year's time that I get to run a race in what I consider to be ideal weather.  Awesome! 

Blogging Runners In The Flesh
After multiple tries, I think I will finally, finally, FINALLY be able to make it to a Chicago Running Bloggers Meetup at the Chicago Half Marathon.  Yay!

A Triple-First Race
The PAWS Run For Their Lives 8K will cap off a number of firsts for me:
  • It'll be the first 8K I ever run!  I am excited to test out this distance for the first time.  (And hey, I'll take an instant PR in whatever way I can get it.)
  • I have a very soft spot in my heart for animals, and this will be the first race that I will run almost entirely because I simply want to support the cause.  (Thanks for passing this race's info on to me, Erin!)
  • This race will also mark the first time that I run two races in a single weekend (I'm running the Mad Dash to Madison the day before).

Now all I need is a copy of one of these, and I'll be all set!



12 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! Just a word of caution - I wear running skirts a lot and some of them ride up too - the briefs underneath, that is...

    I've found that the silicone band around the inside of the brief leg is very important in keeping those shorts underneath where they are supposed to be. If they ride up, a plethora of body glide is still needed :( That's just my experience with skirts.

    That being said, I found one I love at Marshalls - brand is Avia. They have tons of them though...good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! Thanks for the tip regarding the running skirts and the importance of the silicone band (I didn't even know that the briefs had those). I was planning on trying to buy a skirt online, but it sounds like it's a good idea to try a skirt on in person before buying it. And I'll definitely look for the Avias at Marshalls. Great suggestions, thanks so much!!!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, I seem to make a lot of appearances in this post :-)

    I think you'll really enjoy the PAWS race. For some reason I though the Mad Dash to Madison race had something to do with the Madison, WI. But now I see it's a Blackhawks-themed race. So, it's really two races in one weekend for things that are dear to your heart :-)

    And now I'm off to read your 100 things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure do, and deservedly so. =)

      I am very excited about the PAWS race! It is too bad that you have your convention that weekend otherwise it would have been a lot of fun for us to both run the race!

      Ah yes, that would make sense for the Mad Dash to relate to Madison, Wisconsin. And you are absolutely correct, there's a reason why I'm doing two races in a weekend that is so close to marathon day. You know me very well. =)

      Delete
  3. Yesss so glad you're trying out running skirts! I searched high and low for one for the RnR half marathon, and actually found one at T.J. Maxx (or Marshall's? same thing :) ). I think it is Avia brand and it's very comfortable! The only thing I'm not a fan of is that there is no little pocket for small things like a cell phone. Anyway, good luck on your skirt search...can't wait to see what you choose because I need some more skirts too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, more votes for Avia skirts from TJ Maxx and/or Marshalls! Great to know, thanks! And I seem to have a lot of difficulty finding ANY running bottoms that have pockets, for some reason. Is it just me?!? Will keep you posted on how the skirt search goes. =D

      Delete
  4. Your upcoming races sound uber fun! And multiple races close together can be a challenge, but it can also be invigorating. I hope they go well for you!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amy! I remember when you read two half-marathons in the same weekend over new year's this past year - now THAT is an incredibly invigorating challenge! WOW!

      Delete
  5. I am excited to hear what you think of a running skirt! I don't like my shorts riding up either so I buy the ones with a band on the bottom so they will stay in place... not the most flattering thing in the world, but it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I need to look into shorts with a band on the bottom - those sound like they would be perfect! I had some major chafing issues with my shorts yesterday, and I'm told that running skirts still chafe, just in different ways... so shorts with a band at the bottom sound like quite possibly the best solution!

      Delete
    2. Here are the ones I like, but they have this silly green stripe - http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/xersion%25e2%2584%25a2-bike-shorts/prod.jump?ppId=pp500960756&catId=cat100250100&deptId=dept20000013&rootDimName=brand,categories&navState=navState-:catId-cat100250100:subcatId-:subcatZone-false:N-100260325 868:Ns-:Nao-0:ps-96:pn-1:Ntt-:Nf-:action-pagination&topDim=Brand&topDimvalue=xersion&dimCombo=Brand|Categories&dimComboVal=xersion|shorts &currentDim=Categories&currentDimVal=shorts &searchCount=57&sortType=Featured
      But I still like them a lot. I bought them in black last year.

      Delete
    3. Ahhh, so the trick is to look for bike shorts! That makes much more sense. Thanks for this, I happen to love JCP's Xersion brand of workout clothing! (I just need to find the right fit in their bike shorts because I historically have had problems with what I'll call the sausage-leg look. Not appealing, LOL!!!)

      Delete