Friday, June 14, 2013

PAWS Run For Their Lives 4K walk recap

This past Sunday was my second year participating in the PAWS Run For Their Lives event, which includes both an 8K run and a 4K walk.


Animal shelters are a cause that I support from the bottom of my heart, so this event is a must-do for me.  Last year I did the 8K run and absolutely loved the festivities.  This year I opted to do the 4K walk instead since I had a half marathon the day before.  Pets are not allowed to participate in the 8K run for safety reasons, but they are plentiful in the 4K walk.  It was so heartwarming to be surrounding by all of their wriggling energy every step of the way.

Adam was planning to attend the 4K walk with me.  Unfortunately he wasn't feeling well the morning of, so I went by myself.  I found parking quickly and zipped through packet pickup.  I stopped by the fundraising booth to make an extra donation to PAWS Chicago.  Then came the fun part - the dog-watching!

A dog demonstrating its mad hops with a frisbee-catching, leaping over crouched-humans stunt.
Dogs running in circles around their owners
 
Dogs awaiting the start of the 4K walk and getting to know each other.
 
After meandering around a bit to see the various pets, I went to watch the start of the 8K race.  Here is a picture at the starting airhorn:

And they're off!!!
Then I headed over to the start of the 4K walk.

Me at the 4K start
The 4K walk took us through a stretch of the lakefront path between Montrose and Foster, with plenty of water bowls and wading pools for the pets.  There were signs along the walk with pictures of the pets that were part of the PAWS system, and pets that were in need of homes wore yellow bandanas.  As usual, seeing the signs and the pets in need of homes brought tears to my eyes.  But "alumni" pets and pet owners who had adopted from PAWS wore royal blue bandanas/blue shirts, respectively - and it was very touching to see how many of them were in attendence.

Here are some pictures from the 4K walk:

And they're off!!!

Wonder Dog!!!

Enjoying the lakefront bluff mid-walk.

More lakefront bluff enjoyment.
 
Taking a break to enjoy the shade and some belly rubs.

I noticed that there were many Hawks fans at the event basking in the glory of the previous night's victory!  ;-)

The Hawks fans in attendence were not limited just to humans.
Even on a sunny summer day in Chicago, it's never too warm to wear your matching Hawks jerseys.

After completing the 4K walk, I headed over to the post race party.  It was fantastic.  There was so much energy and so much mutual affection for all the animals.  In addition to plenty of pet-friendly booths and activities, there was an incredible selection of refreshments including pizza, cake, burritos, ice tea, and champagne, just to name a few.  I heard later that over 5,000 humans and over 2,500 pets participated in the festivities, which is amazing.  

Me with a PAWS mascot at the post-race party
I love this event.  I love the cause, love the cameraderie, love seeing the adorable pets of all shapes and sizes on race day.  This race continues to be at the top of my list of must-do races each year and I wouldn't miss it for the world.  From what I've seen and heard, it just keeps getting better and better each year, too. 

I can't wait to do it again next year!

17 comments:

  1. Aww, I wish I had known Adam couldn't go with you - I would have joined you! I completely forgot about it, but walking with all those dogs (and you of course!) would have been fun :) That sounds like a great event, and I didn't realize it was so big (5,000 people? WOW!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I wish I'd known that you would have been up for attending!!! I would have loved the opportunity to catch up with you there! Next year, come check it out with Jude and Meko - I think you would all really, really enjoy it! =)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun woof woof time! Next time I'll get there early and make sure to great bloggers doing it!
    Maybe they'll let me be the Mascot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been awesome to see you there! (Sorry, though, that you had to adjust your run along the lakefront path because of the crowds at the race. But it was for a great cause!!!) I am sure they would have been more than happy to have you volunteer as the mascot. =) All volunteer efforts count!!!

      Delete
  3. Hopefully next year this doesn't fall on the same weekend as Ragnar! Because I think I'm finally ready to go back and see all the pups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that the earlier date for this event this year, too! But it seemed that it worked for them since they seemed to have a much bigger turnout this year compared to last year. But next year let's definitely run this race together!!! =)

      Delete
  4. So much fun! I need to get down there for that one of these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, definitely do it! I think you would love it!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Eee! You've written before about how much you love this charity and this race, so I'm sure it was happy day all around to be there to participate in any capacity. I love that the adopted dogs and those needing to be adopted get special recognition. We are huge proponents of adoption. (Geronimo was adopted!) Yes, pet store puppies need love too, but by getting your dog there, you are perpetuating the cycle of dog breeders, who don't have dogs' best interests at heart. Adoption all the way! (Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, you and I share the exact same thoughts and perspectives on the best interests of all pets!!! I was thinking about the dog that you and Stephen came across while running, and how you looked up shelters for it in El Paso so that it would be taken care of. You are so awesome. And I love that G-Mo was adopted!!! Look at how happy G-Mo is, too, and you made it happen. =)

      Delete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! I really wish CB and I could have don this event, but Montrose is too far north for us to walk to :( Looks like you had a wonderful time there for such a great cause.

    We must meet up again soon for brunch... If youre around sunday morning and dont mind being in a bigger group, we are planning on going to brunch post Chi WOmens half. Otherwise we will find another day to get together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and CB would have loved this event!!! Next year, if you are up for participating, maybe I could come pick you up?!?!? Anything that I can do to help this cause while hanging out with you and CB. =)

      Would love to meet up for brunch again soon! Unfortunately I'll be out of town the weekend of the Chi Women's Half, otherwise would have loved to come out and spectate and brunch! But we'll find another time very soon in the next few weeks! (Btw - I am starting a new job next week downtown, so I'll be much more available to meet up on weekdays soon. =) )

      Delete
    2. Yay on the new gig!!! And yes, once you are settled we must meet for lunch :)

      Delete
    3. New job! Deets! I knew you would get one right away :)

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Kim, much appreciate your confidence in me! I'll email you more deets. =)

      Delete
  7. This event sounds so fabulous. I hope a lot of yellow bandanna dogs got adopted that day. And that there are a lot more blue bandanna dogs there next year!

    I would have loved to see the dog tricks! One time we watched a dog hearding sheep and it was really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, if you're free next year, I think you would really enjoy this event! Especially since you understand what it's like to be a pet owner with Data! I really hope a lot of yellow bandanna dogs got adopted, too - it really means the world to those that do get adopted.

      A dog herding sheep! SO AWESOME!!! I wonder how you train a dog to do that!?!?!?!?

      Delete