Monday, December 7, 2015

San Antonio highlights

Last night I got back from my Rock N Roll San Antonio Remix Challenge weekend. It was a good time. I am happy to have finally crossed San Antonio off of my list of cities to visit!

I am currently in the process of writing my recaps of both the Rock N Roll San Antonio 10K and Half Marathon. In the meantime, I wanted to share some other weekend highlights, both running and travel-related.

First, a few running highlights:

I got to meet Meb Keflezhigi!!! After the 10K, Meb set up an impromptu meet-and-greet shop at the finish line in front of the Alamo. When I noticed this, the crowd was growing very quickly. I jumped in line as fast as my post-race legs would carry me! It was worth the long wait for this:

Just hanging out with Meb post-race. No big deal. ;)

Meb is the nicest, most down-to-earth, humble man ever. Despite the hordes of people waiting to meet him, he never seemed rushed or impatient. What a privilege and an inspiration to meet him!

Speaking of meeting up with great people...

I got to meet Annabelle in person! Below is a picture of the two of us at the 10K start line on Saturday morning. It was terrific to chat with her!


Annabelle is a running superstar! She nailed a 3rd place finish at the 10K, and achieved a blazingly fast finish at the half marathon. Go Annabelle!!!!!! Way to tear it up!!!!!

The Rock N Roll Race Series continues to do the bling/swag really well. I love the medals!

As I mentioned, I'll talk more about the races in another post. But in short, my newest slogan is: "Will trash my legs for bling." It was amazing how much these medals motivated me during those rough miles.

Switching gears now - here are some San Antonio visit highlights:

I immediately remembered the Alamo. Here's my first live glimpse of the Alamo on Friday night after I got into town:


The next day, I went back and took a tour of the historic buildings and grounds. Here are some snapshots of the Alamo's courtyards:



The famed San Antonio Riverwalk deserves all of the hype. What an incredible stretch of beautiful and festive shoreline! It was so much fun walking around and exploring the river bends and turns. There were different attractions around every corner. I was very lucky to experience the Riverwalk during the holiday season, as it was filled with holiday lights everywhere the eye could see:
A view of Casa Rio decked out for the holidays

I enjoyed as much of San Antonio's other popular sights as time would allow. Here are some photo highlights:
The Buckhorn Saloon
This made me think, "Don't mess with Texas!"

El Mercado, which is described as the largest Mexican market outside of Mexico

Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia in El Mercado
I'm told the Christmas decorations are a year-round thing there.
Feliz Navidad!!!
The Spanish Governor's Palace
I tried my best to eat my way through the city, too. I've heard much about San Antonio's amazing array of Mexican food, so I tried to take advantage.

This was one of my favorite eats from the weekend:
I stopped at a fruteria and got a "small" container of fruit with lime and chili powder/sauce.
I got to select three types of fruit, so I picked papaya, kiwi, and jicama.

Regretfully, I didn't go too crazy since my primary purpose while visiting was to run two races. Note to self for next time!

Coming soon: More about the Rock N Roll San Antonio 10K and Half Marathon

--
Linking up with HoHo and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap.

31 comments:

  1. Wow - the river walk looks spectacular lighted of the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've been spoiled now for if I ever go back to the Riverwalk when it is NOT the holiday season!

      It's too bad blogger doesn't allow us to edit our comments. I've had many typos when submitting comments, too!

      Delete
  2. I would never think of having lime and chili powder w fruit but I bet that was tasty. Great pics! I never have been to San Antonio. How cool you got to meet Meb. I love the rock n roll medals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Likewise - I wasn't sure how the chili powder would mesh with the fruit but I can see why folks like it! San Antonio is a very festive city - I hope you get a chance to visit someday. Rock N Roll really does these events very well and it was such an honor to meet Meb!

      Delete
  3. Wow! The Riverwalk looks even more amazing with all the lights. How fun that you got to see it like that. I didn't make it to El Mercado when I was there so I'd like to go back and check that out some day. And isn't it crazy how the Alamo is just chilling right in the middle of downtown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever go back to San Antonio outside of the holiday season, it'll be interesting to see how the Riverwalk looks then. I think I got spoiled seeing it for the first time all lit up! When were you last in San Antonio? Yes - it was crazy how the Alamo is just in the middle of downtown! Living history!

      Delete
    2. I was in San Antonio in January....2012? So, yeah, it's been awhile!

      Delete
  4. Believe or not, I haven't gotten to San Antonio, or Austin, since I moved back to Texas. Sad isn't it? I don't count the airports since I didn't leave the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how big Texas is, it's very understandable that anyone might not have made it to any of the various big cities! Austin is another really fantastic city that I'd like to spend more time in, as well!

      Delete
  5. Wow, San Antonio looks amazing! I have to be honest - I've never even considered visiting San Antonio (or Texas in general, for that matter...maybe Austin, but Texas just doesn't really appeal to me), but this makes me want to go! Those lights along the Riverwalk are absolutely stunning.

    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand! Growing up, I always heard about Dallas and Houston, but more so because I have family in both cities. It was only in the last decade that I started hearing about Austin, and I'd never really heard much about San Antonio. I'm more excited to explore additional parts of Texas now, too!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a really fun and bling-filled weekend....the best kind! I've not been to SA either but I need to get there. Can't wait for the full report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia! It made me think of your fun and bling-filled weekend at RnR Las Vegas! I'm hoping to duplicate your experience (mind the nasty weather conditions) in the very near future. =D

      Delete
  7. Thanks Karen! The Rock N Roll race series really does the bling/swag well - it's one of my favorite parts of their events. =) Run-cationing is the bestest indeed! If only time and finances did not put restrictions on run-cationing, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I will also say "Wow"! Great pics and so glad that you and Annabelle got to meetup finally. So cool that you guys got to "hang" with Meb on both race days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! Would you believe I was able to pick Annabelle out of the crowd at the starting line because she was wearing her Bootlegger's singlet? It's the little things that make us stand out to each other. =D

      Delete
  9. What a great city! I have been but it's been awhile and I'd love to run in it. I do remember the riverwalk it was so nice! Yup the food is great too, I do remember that as well! :) Thanks for sharing this in our link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for co-hosting the link-up, I always love reading everyone's recaps! When was the last time you were in San Antonio? I say running a local race is the best way to see ANY city, yes?

      Delete
  10. The first time I saw the Alamo, I was amazed at it's smallest. And it's right smack in the middle of everything else. I love the Mexican market and the Riverwalk must be spectacular this time of year! I can't wait to read about your races. I really like the half marathon medal with the Riverwalk on it! How cool you got to meet Meb. Thanks for linking with us Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for co-hosting the link-up - I was just telling Tricia how much I love reading everyone's recaps! YES on how the Alamo is surprisingly small considering all the history behind it. Rock N Roll really does the events well. I think any destination they host a race is the perfect excuse to go explore there, yes? =)

      Delete
  11. How cool that you got to meet Meb! I have heard such awesome things about him. I wonder if he will do a meet&greet at Dallas this weekend :)

    Did you take that photo of the river walk?! AMAZING! What a great time of year to visit :)

    The Alamo courtyards are beautiful! I hope I can visit there some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Oh my goodness - I still can't believe you just signed up for the Dallas Marathon this weekend. You are such a powerhouse! I hope he does a meet and greet there, too! He is seriously the most down to earth guy, ever. I have even more respect for elites when they are humble. You would never guess in meeting him that the guy can run faster than I can ride a bike!

      I hope you can visit San Antonio some day soon, too! It was a bummer the schedules didn't work out for you to join me there this time - how cool would that have been!?!?!? But I'm definitely looking forward to finding another fun race to run with you next year!!!

      Delete
    2. I was training with Dallas in mind! I am not that crazy! I just left registration to last minute to see if we were still going, and really, if I could go for a PR :)

      I get to meet Meb on Monday at a running store in the Dallas area!

      OMG! I forgot we talked about this race. Wow. That would have ended up being such bad timing for me! We need to do one (or something!) next year! :)

      Delete
    3. That was a smart strategy! If it wasn't for race sell-outs and registration costs usually being so high at the last minute, I would do that all the time. So nice that Dallas gives you that flexibility!

      OOOOOOH on meeting Meb on Monday! SO EXCITING! Can't wait to hear about your experience!

      YAY for next year!

      Delete
  12. So awesome that you got to meet Meb! He seems like a nice guy! I love all your pictures from San Antonio! Looks like an awesome place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! Meb is such an inspiration. It's wonderful to see such incredible talent comes with great humility, too. San Antonio was a fun place to visit and the weather was so much nicer than back in Chicago at the time!

      Delete
  13. The Riverwalk looks awesome all decorated for the holidays!! I only went there a couple of times (and it's probably been about 10+ years since I did) since locals like my brother regarded it in the same way that we do Navy Pier. I'd love to go back sometime and do touristy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Antonio really did a great job decking out the Riverwalk for the holidays! An yes, I totally thought about how touristy it was when I was there, too. I wanted to get some good Mexican food but I was guessing all the Riverwalk places would be overpriced for mediocre food. I gave in and ate at Maria Mia's on the Riverwalk one night - it was really good, but definitely expensive. I hope you get a chance to go back to SA soon!!!

      Delete
  14. So cool that you met Meb! And yes he is a nice guy. I love The Riverwalk. So beautiful! And isn't jicama the BEST?!?!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meb is so inspirational! The Riverwalk is stunning. I know Chicago is trying to improve our riverwalk here - maybe one of these days it'll be as nice as San Antonio's! Jicama is the BEST, indeed! Love the crunch and the subtle sweetness!

      Delete