Week of July 25 - 31
MONDAY - Rest
TUESDAY - Yoga class, 20 minutes of strength training (legs, biceps, triceps)
WEDNESDAY - Zumba class
THURSDAY - Yoga class
FRIDAY - 10 minutes stationary cycling, 45 minutes strength training (full-body)
SATURDAY - Run 6 miles
SUNDAY - Rest
Week of August 1 - 7
MONDAY - Run 3 miles on treadmill, 25 minutes of strength work (upper body, abs/lower back)
TUESDAY - 15 minutes lower body strength work, yoga class
WEDNESDAY - Zumba class, Mobility 101 class
THURSDAY - Run 3 miles on treadmill, Strength Max class (abs, back, chest, biceps, squats, quads)
FRIDAY - Yoga class
SATURDAY - BTN Big 10K (full recap to come)
SUNDAY - Rest
|From the BTN Big 10K post-race tailgate party|
Here are a few things I'd share with you right now if we were catching up over coffee (or your choice of beverage):
- In an attempt to mix up the routine, I tried the Mobility 101 and Strength Max classes last week (both are new offerings starting in August). Both were very helpful.
- Mobility 101 covers dynamic stretching/strengthening methods to overcome physical imbalances. There, I learned that I have a much wider range of lateral motion on my right leg than my left leg. Yikes!!!
- In Strength Max, I started learning some weight-lifting methods that focus more strongly on contracting the muscles being worked, rather than physically moving the weights. I enjoyed this a lot because it feels like it generates more bang for the buck. Normally I sweat only moderately when I'm lifting, but this day I put my towel to excellent use!
- Remember how I said here that I was thinking about adding another half marathon to my race calendar in the fall? Yeah, that idea quickly got squashed over the weekend. When I was running the BTN Big 10K, I realized I'm not ready to jump back into racing again. Houston, we still have recovery work to do.
- In all the Olympic coverage, Rio's backdrop and landscapes look stunningly, jaw-droppingly gorgeous. It is absolutely true that the Olympics are a way to showcase the host cities to the world. I know the TV cameras focus on the best highlights, but I have had Brazil on my to-visit list for a long time. Now I want to go even more.
- I've been mesmerized by the women's Olympic beach volleyball. Kerri Walsh Jennings is a force of nature! I want to be more like her.
- Due to an ever-present supply of bananas ripening faster than I can eat them, my kitchen has been a veritable factory of banana muffins and banana bread. This has been my go-to muffin recipe (minus the oatmeal-sugar topping). Last night I tried this recipe with good results.
- My best friend Vanitha will be working in Alaska from mid-August through mid-November! I'm trying to see if I can work out a time to go visit her there. I've only been to Alaska once by way of a cruise, so it would be fun to do a land-based trip.
- The day before yesterday, Adam and I caught The Peanuts Movie on TV. I haven't watched any of the Charlie Brown movies in at least 15 years, and I had forgotten how delightful they are. Snoopy and Woodstock are the cutest, most adorable characters, ever!