This week's topic: Dream Races!
I'll take this in a couple of different directions. First, here are the qualities that I always appreciate in ANY race:
- Easy, convenient logistics both for the runners and the spectators. Day-of-race packet pickup is a huge plus.
- Good communication and information from the race organizers.
- Something memorable or unique about the race (e.g. scenic course, cool theme, a rocking post-race party, etc.)
- A starting time that doesn't require me to get up at some ungodly hour. (Sadly, this can be tough to find, since so many races start in the early morning.)
- Good value for the registration fee, whatever the amount is.
- Nice swag. I am all about fabulous medals and a quality race shirt (or whatever other participant giveaways are included in the goody bag). I love receiving product samples or discounts.
|RunDisney gives out the most amazing medals. |
The Disney Coast to Coast medal is my favorite!
Now, here are some of the races on my dream list (and for many of them, I am dreaming REALLY big)!
- All of the World Marathon Majors. (I feel very fortunate to have run the Chicago Marathon before they went to a registration lottery.)
- All of the Disney races. (Given how quickly the Disney races sell out, I am fortunate to have run Wine and Dine last year and the year before, plus Disneyland last year.)
- Any race in Hawaii, especially the Honolulu Marathon
- The Big Sur Marathon
- Sparkasse Marathon (you run in three countries!)
- Paris Marathon
- Marathon de Medoc in Bordeaux
- Rome Marathon
- Dublin Marathon
- Rio de Janeiro Marathon
- Inca Trail Marathon to Machu Picchu
- Reykjavic Marathon
- Sydney Marathon
- Bangkok Marathon
- The Great Wall Marathon
- The Big Five Marathon in Limpopo, South Africa
|The African savannah!|
Honorable mentions that I may actually get to cross off the list in the foreseeable future: Rock N Roll Las Vegas, and any races in Vancouver and Montreal.
How about you? What characteristics do you like most in races? What other races do you have on your dream list?