Chicago Restaurant Week
This starts two weeks from tomorrow and includes over 300 restaurants offering special pre fixe menus. I'm not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy opportunities to try new restaurants (especially at good prices).
The Chicago Restaurant Week options are truly overwhelming! I've only made a reservation at one place so far (Texas de Brazil), and am still sifting through others. Off the top of my head, here are a few places that have caught my eye:
- Topolobampo or Frontera Grill - I've always wanted to try one of Rick Bayless's restaurants but it's so tough to get a reservation!
- Michael Jordan's - I was a huge fan of his during the 90s
- Monteverde - brand new and just a few blocks from my home
- Formento's - just a few blocks from my home
- Roy's - I love Hawaiian food and there are so few Hawaiian restaurants here
Time to start loosening my belt buckles! Or better yet, time to start wearing stretchy pants for all occasions, all the time. =D
Next, and just a few weeks after Chicago Restaurant Week, I am looking forward to...
Chicago Theater Week
This is my first year taking advantage of Chicago Theater Week, during which over 100 productions are offering discounted tickets. Again, the options are overwhelming! Why didn't I start participating earlier!?!?!?
Adam and I will be going to see Cabaret on Valentine's Day.
I'm also eyeing Blue Man Group. It's been around for so long and I feel like I'm one of the few people who has never seen it. This would be the perfect time to check it off the list!
This isn't part of Chicago Theater Week, but I have been wanting to see The Lion King musical. I love all things Disney and have heard rave reviews! Unfortunately, I just realized it's in town only until January 17th. Bummer, but this one will probably have to wait for another time.
Now, changing topics to something much more oppressive...
Adam is a Penguins fan first and a Blackhawks fan second. I am a Blackhawks fan first and a Penguins fan second. We both root for each others' teams EXCEPT when they play against each other. I call this "the doom scenario" (or just "doom" for short). No matter what happens, one of us is going to walk away unhappy at the expense of the other.
|From the Blackhawks-Penguins Stadium Series game in 2014|
Our friend Lindsay was in town to attend last night's game, so on Tuesday night, she came over to watch the away game. It was a good thing she was there because she helped keep the atmosphere light. =D
Then last night, we went to the United Center to watch the two teams duke it out in person.
|Sorry for the bad picture quality, the upper deck doesn't have very good lighting|
Leading up to this week, our friend Michael told us, "No offense, but I hope the result of these two games is that Adam has to sleep on the floor for a week." (!?!?!?!?!?!?!?)
As it turns out, the results from both games would have led to yours truly sleeping on the floor. Oops. Thankfully, Adam and I both always keep things very respectful so there was no overnight floor occupancy.
I am thankful this year's edition of doom is now over!
A few other random notes:
- I'm getting new glasses and contacts tomorrow, and hopefully a haircut over the next week!!! I'm not planning any drastic changes (no green mohawks or purple-and-yellow-tinted contacts or anything like that) but psychologically it'll be nice to freshen things up a bit.
- The travel bug is starting to bite again. Unfortunately, my passport expires next fall and there's a lot of talk about how Illinois drivers licenses no longer meet federal ID requirements. Looks like I'll need to be strategic about my renewal.
- I've had way too many bananas get overripe these past few weeks, so I've been making an industrial-sized supply of banana bread. This is my go-to recipe. If anyone has others to share, I would love to try out some new ones!
- It's terrifying to see how quickly my homemade baked goods get moldy compared to store-bought baked goods. Apparently all those preservatives are really doing their job...
- A lot of friends have talked about reducing their phone/social media usage as a goal/resolution for 2016. I'm starting to think I need to get on board with this, too. I realized I had hit a breaking point this morning when I got a pleasant email and my first instinct was to "like" it. What has happened to me!?!?!?
- As a pet-lover, this news made me incredibly happy. Way to go, PAWS Chicago!!!
Linking up with Amanda's Thinking Out Loud Thursdays.