Tuesday, April 16, 2013

In solidarity

Yesterday when I heard the news about the Boston Marathon explosions, I was fighting back tears.  This is my sport, my friends, and my running community out there.  This tragedy felt like a personal attack, and one that hit very close to home for me.

Thanks to Shannon for this picture

Many consider the Boston Marathon to be the most prestigious in the world.  I will probably never qualify to run it.  But I know firsthand how much sacrifice and dedication goes into ANY marathon, let alone Boston.

During my own marathon journey, I underwent months and months of grueling training, sacrifices, and physical therapy, laced with countless periods of self-doubt and fear.  But in the end, it was all worth it.  I will never forget the feeling of being buoyed for 26.2 miles by an unbelievably supportive crowd all uniting for one goal.  It was one of the greatest moments I've ever experienced to approach and cross that finish line.

I can't possibly imagine how it must have felt for the Boston runners/spectators and the entire city of Boston to have their hard-fought accomplishments, goals, dreams, and day of celebration marred by such unspeakable tragedy.  It is literally heartbreaking that someone could commit an act of such senseless cruelty in ANY time or place, let alone the Boston Marathon finish line.

My prayers and thoughts go out to all of Boston and all of its marathoners/spectators.  Also, my very heartfelt thanks go out to the first responders, paramedics, police, firefighters, and other public safety officials that were running towards the scene of the tragedies while everyone else was running away.


Last night Adam and I went to the Blackhawks game at the United Center. As you might expect, they had a moment of silence to honor what happened in Boston. There is also a tradition at all Blackhawks home games that the crowd cheers and claps as loudly as they can during the national anthem. Last night's anthem was no exception, and it is during times like these that the national anthem feels more meaningful than ever.

It made me think of this national anthem singing at the NHL All-Star game in 1991.  The crowd was so loud that they nearly drowned out the singing.



Runners are uniting today by wearing their race shirts or the Boston Marathon colors (blue and yellow).  Thankfully, my workplace allows us to dress casually if we so choose.  Today I am wearing the most meaningful-to-me race shirt that I own:


To me, this race shirt symbolizes the struggles, the tumult, and the seemingly unsurmountable challenges that we all face in running, as in life.  This shirt also symbolizes to me the resiliency, strength, and triumph that we feel once we do meet life's challenges head-on.  When we fall down, we get back up, we dust ourselves off, and then we keep pushing forward.  Similarly, we will NOT be defeated by the tragedy in Boston.  This will only serve to strengthen our resolve further.

I am very proud and thankful to be a part of a running community that is so incredibly strong, close-knit, and supportive.  May we all continue to work together and unite to always move forward in solidarity, both as runners and as human beings.

Live Half Full

12 comments:

  1. Great post and thanks for writing this. You are correct, we will not be defeated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, I am so, so glad that you were unharmed after finishing the marathon. I am looking forward to hearing more specifics about your race experience, both before and after the incidents.

      Delete
  2. I ran in my 2011 Chicago shirt today. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the linkup, as usual! I thought I'd get a lot of comments from coworkers about my race shirt yesterday, but surprisingly nobody said a word. They must have implicitly known. =)

      Delete
  3. Em, well said sweet girl! I wore a race shirt today as well as ran 26.2 min in honor of Boston victims, survivors, families and loved ones. I love being a part of the running community...we are built from pain, perseverance, endurance, strength and character, we will not go silently into the night, we will stand United as one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, you couldn't have said it better. There is truly a kinship amongst the running community that is evident from the moment that you start running. Whoever chose to commit this heinous act of violence has no idea what kind of strength the running community holds within!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for echoing my thoughts. I love that I'm seeing all these posts. It's just such a great outpouring of community and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to tell you that your post on Facebook was actually the very first thing I saw that made me realize what had happened in Boston. Thank YOU for your thoughts, which so perfectly echoed my own sentiments. We are a strong running community and I will always be proud of us!!!

      Delete
  5. This post is so on the nose. The ability of marathon training and running to transform us, to overcome personal obstacles, to realize we are stronger than we thought, it's so so powerful and uniting. I think that's what binds us together as runners and as human beings.

    Anyway, like I said, you nailed it, so I linked to it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amy!!! I am truly honored to have been featured on your blog. It is amazing how much running binds us together. I've made the most amazing friends, including you, through something as simple as running!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Based on reading your post on Boston, I think that you and I share a lot of the same sentiments.

      Delete