Thursday, April 18, 2013

Running Blogger survey

Kelly is hosting a Running Blogger survey linkup.  Here are my responses!

Best Run Ever
It had been a lifelong goal of mine to run a marathon, so the Chicago Marathon was an absolutely amazing experience.  The most fun race I've ever done was the 2011 Home Team Charity 10K run.  I also loved the PAWS Run For Their Lives 8K and I am super, super excited to run the Mad Dash to Madison for the first time this year.

In general, though, my best runs are those where the running feels effortless, the scenery is great, and I wish I didn't ever have to stop.  On average, I'd say that probably one out of every four or five of my runs feels really, really good.
Three Words That Describe My Running
Out and about.  (Am I cheating by using my blog title to answer this question?  Perhaps.  But I did have a method to my madness when I chose it!  ;-) )

My Go-To Running Outfit
When it's cooler out, I'll default to tights and a long-sleeved shirt, then I'll modify any additional layers (i.e. jacket, vest, etc.) as needed. When it's warmer out I default to running shorts and a short-sleeved shirt.

In general, I do tend to dress more heavily than many runners.  I think this is because I prefer to feel too warm when running versus feeling too cold.  I am always amazed when I see people wearing shorts and tank tops to run when the temperatures are below freezing or whatnot.  Yes, I'm a Chicago girl but unfortunately that doesn't mean that I'm immune to the cold weather.  =(

Quirky Habit While Running
I don't think I have any (or at least I'm not aware of any...?)




From a bad habits standpoint, though, I am not as good as I should be about carrying ID with me when I run (bad, I know).  I do get paranoid about carrying stuff in my pockets unless they are zippered.  I also hate having things bounce or jingle so I usually carry my keys in my hand when I run.

Morning, Mid-day or Evening
When I was in college I used to love late-afternoon running, but these days it's not usually a very practical time for me to go.  On weekends I like going in the morning, and on weekdays it's easiest to go in the early-evening.  When I can muster the motivation (i.e. an early-morning running buddy!), it is nice to do early-morning runs on weekdays.

I Won’t Run Outside When It’s
Lightning, tornado-ing, hurricaning, monsoon-ing, hailing, earthquaking, tsunami-ing, volcano-ing, icy, or the temperature is lower than about 15 degrees Fahrenheit, give or take.  I do consider myself to be a reasonably hard-core runner, but I'm certainly no match for Mother Nature.  In a battle of wills she will always win.  Always.



Worst Injury – And How I Got Over It
I've had a lot of problems with my left knee, which were primarily the result of IT band syndrome.  At its peak it was so bad that I couldn't even ride a bike, go on the elliptical, or walk without pain, let alone run.  It sidelined me from running for several painful months.

Thankfully the knee problem is under control now, relatively speaking. This is due to a ton of ongoing physical therapy exercises, stretching, strengthening, foam-rolling, and the wearing of a ridiculously stylish Cho-pat strap. 

Ooh lah lah!!!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that I've gotten over this injury completely.  To be honest, I don't know if I ever truly will.  But just having it under control is a huge step for me.

I Felt Most Like a Badass Runner When
I would get up before sunrise on a weekend morning to knock out a double-digit run, then get home before most people have even gotten out of bed.  Yesssssssss!!!

Potential Running Goal for 2013
Honestly, I'd be so happy if I could just stay injury-free.  I've already got five half-marathons on the docket this year (with a sixth one in mind), along with a number of other race distances.  I am hoping and praying that I will be able to run all of my races without issue, or with as minimal issue as possible. 

Further along the line, I hope to be able to run with truly no fear of re-injuring myself.  Maybe someday!

My Next Race Is
The CARA Lakefront 10-Miler this Saturday!  It'll be my first race of 2013.  Unfortunately, I'm not feeling as prepared as I would like going into it.  But at least the weather forecast is looking nice, especially after the torrential downpours of rain we've had here the past two days.

(On a tangential note, did you all hear about the giant sinkhole that swallowed three cars here in Chicago?  It was the result of a water main breaking from the mass rainfall.  Scary stuff.)

--
Your turn - I'd love to hear your answers!  Feel free also to link-up with Kelly and check out other running bloggers' answers from her page!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing along, I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, thanks for hosting! I am loving reading everyone's answers - it's always so much fun to learn more about our fellow bloggers!

      Delete
  2. Fun read! Good luck with the 10 miler! Can't wait to hear your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Appreciate the well wishes for the CARA 10-Miler this weekend, I need all the good vibes I can get. =) You should participate in Kelly's linkup, too!!! It's so fun hearing everyone's responses!

      Delete
  3. I love running surveys; it's so fun to reflect! I'm jealous that you have so many races already lined up. I need to start working on my own race docket. (Time to make decisions!)

    I have one quirky running habit - I sometimes finger spell (sign language!) while I run. I do it when I don't run also. I taught myself the alphabet when I was younger, and ever since, I find myself doing it on and off, but often when I run, especially if my hands are cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running surveys really are fun and they are a great way to blog when you may be a little short on other things to write about (which happens to me frequently). No jealousy for all of the races that I've got lined up because they are starting to stress me out now! Funny how that happens, eh?

      So interesting that you finger spell when you run and other times! You are a woman of many diverse talents and I am sure that your sign language skills will come in mucho handy someday!!!

      Delete
  4. Are you going to do the PAWS 8K again this year? It's on June 9th. We got a $5 off code in our LF10 packet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I registered a few weeks ago! Although, I'll be doing the walk this year instead of the run. This is because I'm running the Chicago 13.1 the day before - and it's a bit risky for me to do back-to-back races. But Adam agreed to do the walk with me this year, so that will be fun! Are you going to do it?

      I did see the $5 off in our LF10 packet. Too bad I didn't get to use it when I registered, but since the proceeds go for a good cause I don't mind.

      Delete
  5. I will be that LF10! Hopefully we can meet each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for tomorrow's 10-miler!!! I just realized that we don't have a blogger meetup set for tomorrow, what a bummer! But I'll look for you!!!

      Delete
    2. I guess we have an even more exclusive meet up: Asian Chicago Running Blogger Meetup! :)

      Delete
    3. Woo hoo for Asian Chicago running bloggers, indeed!!! I just saw on your blog that you're running the Wisconsin Half - me, too! So if not tomorrow, we'll meet up in Wisconsin for sure!!!

      Delete
  6. Em, you have 5 half marathons already on the docket and your thinking of adding another one...you are my HERO and inspiration girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Shannon! Likewise, you never cease to inspire me with your strength and positivity and ALL that you do! You are truly amazing.

      Delete