Monday, August 26, 2013

Immeasurable

I am feeling a bit unfocused these days when it comes to my running and my health and fitness priorities.


Over the past year, running has generally taken a backseat to other pursuits. The recent exceptions are whenever I've got a half marathon coming up and I'm trying to undergo emergency training (aka right now). Otherwise, I've been diversifying my workout routine with more emphasis on yoga, pilates, biking, and rowing. Whenever I can get access to a pool I go swimming. I've also really enjoyed the new fitness dabbles I've tried this summer (e.g. stand-up paddleboarding and trapeze).

I know how important cross-training is, of course. But even so, it has been surprisingly refreshing, both mentally and physically, to work all the different muscle groups that running doesn't cover. I feel stronger on an overall basis. It's been a mini-rediscovery of sorts. Last year I spent so much time focusing just on running, and when I wasn't running I was focusing on the stretches/PT exercises that could help me keep running. Now, I don't know if I could ever go back to that level of focus with running.


I did finally give in today and register for the Prairie State Half Marathon. I'd love to run a sub 2:20 there, but really it's no big deal either way. I am more excited about the scenery and backdrop for the race, the company (Kim has graciously offered to pace me if her schedule permits), and the fact that I'll likely have some family members there who have never seen me run a race before. Who cares about anything else?

I also started looking at other races for the rest of 2013 and for 2014. I definitely want to run the Wisconsin Half Marathon again. I am considering giving the Chicago Marathon another try next year, pending a potential change to a registration lottery-system. I've spoken at length about my other must-do races, e.g. the ones hosted by PAWS or the Blackhawks. Other than that, I think I am in a race rut where I am looking for races that are very different or very unique to pique my interest. (No color races, mud races, glow races, etc., though. I'm more of a purist when it comes to running races.)


Several runners have the goal to run races in all 50 states and all seven continents. I think these are fabulous goals and there is nothing that I would love more than to travel the world to run races.  Unfortunately, I am challenged by limited vacation time and funds.

Speaking of which, my travel bug is biting me big-time. This is somewhat mollified by having just booked a trip to Central America for next March. It's a topic for a whole other post but in short, the travel bug still itches incessantly.

Running is certainly not just about running races, of course. On a related note, I've put forth a recent effort to improve my eating habits. Much has been written and discussed about the benefits of "clean" eating (i.e. eating healthy, fresh, unprocessed foods) and I am trying to abide by these guidelines as much as possible. For example, boxes of instant mashed potatoes used to be a staple in my pantry. Now I try to cook whole potatoes instead, and save the instant potatoes for emergencies.

Yeah, it's kind of like that.

I've even been trying to cut down on the amount of fruit juice that I drink in favor of drinking plain water and eating whole fruits. (Since I usually drink orange juice like it's going out of style, this has been quite a change for me.)

As you might guess, I've definitely had varying measures of success with trying to eat better. I still love cookies and brownies and ice cream, and it's still tough to contain myself when it comes to salty snacks like chips or crackers with cheese. It's a process, but at least things are headed in a positive direction.

I think it matters less which way you go - just as long as you aren't standing still.
This sign obviously begs to differ.

Where am I going with this? Other than trying to keep my fitness pursuits balanced, diverse, and novel from both a healthy and a hedonistic perspective, I'm not sure. But that's okay because not all goals have to be measurable. In fact, it's probably better that some goals aren't. It's always great to enjoy the results of your work - but you can also enjoy just getting to do the work. It doesn't always matter whether or not there's an end goal in mind.

Here's the motto of the day (and no, my love of cookies will never change):


14 comments:

  1. I am eating a gyros while I read this! But it does have a tomato so that's kinda "clean" right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, gyros. I love gyros! I especially love the cucumber yogurt sauce that you can get with gyros. Alas, I digress...

      Yes, a tomato is definitely "clean"!!! Assuming your gyro is comprised of the pita, the meat, and the tomato, then 1/3 (33%) of your gyro ingredients are clean! =D WOO HOO!!!

      Delete
    2. Yay, I don't feel so guilty now! :)

      Delete
    3. LOL, don't ever worry about feeling guilty when it comes to food around me. When eating a chocolate chip cookie, for example, I will focus on the fact that it has wheat in it... and that chocolate has antioxidants. ;-) There are very few foods that truly have zero nutritional value. It's all about looking at the glass half full! =D

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I love gyros but haven't had one in years! Cookies, brownies and ice cream are a different story. Love them way too much.
    I love your mix-it-up approach to fitness. There's much to be said for variety, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a good thing you haven't had a gyro in years! I find that if I haven't had something in a long time, it's easier to curb the cravings than if you are recently reminded of how tasty they are. (sigh)

      Yes to variety! Last year when I was so focused on marathon training I couldn't imagine doing all this cross-training because it wouldn't help me run... but now the variety feels darned good!

      Delete
  3. I am unfocused right now as well. Eating has been my main problem lately. I'm trying to be better about planning out meals/snacks but I haven't been very good with it. Its definitely also hard to make good food (and non processed foods) when you're only cooking for one person. I go through periods where I'm good about it and then I'm bad for awhile again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping my eating under control has always been a challenge for me, especially when it comes to snacks. I am trying to be good about eating something healthy every few hours so that I never get very hungry, which makes it a little easier to keep things under control. Still easier said than done, though, eh?

      Delete
  4. You should try a triathlon! I'm really loving my training and it's breaking me out of my rut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that your tri training has been going so well for you! The running and the biking I think I could handle, but admittedly the swimming part (especially an open swim) intimidates me... would need to ease myself into it slowly. Very slowly. =D

      Delete
  5. Ooo, since you mentioned it... I better sign up, right?! :)

    I love that you are doing so many different things and it's making you feel healthy AND well rounded! However, I have to ask about emergency HM training (LOL) - do you feel like you can still get the proper training in to cover those races and still have fun (and stay injury free)? Just asking ;)

    I want to hear more about your trip. I was just writing on Katie's blog that I love hearing about everyone's travels! I would love to travel the world and run races, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, no pressure to run with me. It would be awesome to have your company - but if you are training for a marathon and also have another run later that afternoon, it really does seem like a lot for you. The last thing I want is for you to get burned out on my account!

      LOL regarding the emergency HM training. Having fun and avoiding injury (by not running too much) have become the overriding priorities these days (hence why my race times have shown such minimal improvement this year, haha). I am thankful that I've got enough of a running base now that I can generally do these halves without having to focus tremendously on training. But obviously I have a ton of room for improvement which I'm sure I could tap into better if I was more focused. Maybe next year the motivation will be back. Great question, though - thanks for asking!

      I love hearing about all your travels and adventures, too! It seems like every weekend you are doing cool things like helicopter tours or hot air ballooning or flying planes. Love it!!!

      Delete
  6. When running took a backseat for me in 2012 I found that I was so much more balanced as a person and physically. In fact, I'm struggling to get back there now. It's like, when I get into running mode I feel weird if I don't run even if I'm doing lots of other things. I kind of wish I had kept a workout log last year so that I could see what I was doing then versus what I'm doing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking about the blog posting you wrote about how you ran all those races in one year, then the next year you discovered all those other new fitness pursuits. I can very much relate! I hear about all of these other runners who run 5 or 6 days a week, logging 50+ miles per week, and I just can't fathom it. When we talk about running being mental, it's not just about keeping going during those long distances... it's also about consistency in day-to-day training!!! Do you keep a workout log now?

      Delete