Friday, May 1, 2015

Five Things Friday

1. Local neighborhood barre
I just found out that Pure Barre is opening a studio near my home in the West Loop! The targeted opening date is sometime this summer. This is fantastic news! In the past, I've spent a ton of time traveling to different neighborhoods for classes. I have nomadically bopped around at least a half-dozen studios through ClassPass, Groupon-type deals, and promotional free classes. It'll be great to settle into ONE studio. I can finally sign up for one of those new-client membership deals without worrying about getting enough usage!

2. Chicago Cultural Center
This building is officially one of my favorites within the city of Chicago. Look at the gorgeous interior:



I learned that the Chicago Cultural Center was the city's central library building before Harold Washington Library opened in 1991. What an amazing space it would have been for a library!

3. When life gives you lemon bars...
Many thanks to Esprit de She and Luna Bars for giving me samples of Lemon Zest and Chocolate Salted Caramel Luna Bars!


I haven't tried the Chocolate Salted Caramel yet, but I am already hooked on the Lemon Zest flavor. I think it is the perfect blend of sweetness and tangyness. It was so yummy that I went onto Amazon and created a subscription order.

You know that marketing strategy where companies give out product samples hoping that consumers will get hooked and buy more? Yeah, I am the case study. Guilty as charged.

4. Still trying to be perfect
Check out my YTD mileage log!


Awww, yeah. Still perfectly on track to hit 750 miles for the year. The perfectionist in me lives to fight yet another month! Thankfully, I didn't have to go on another last-minute tear to meet my mileage quota in April. =)

Although, there will be some changes starting this month. I have been a very, very long-time user of the Runner's World online training log. I was unhappy to see this:


Unfortunately that data export option works only if you want to transition into the Training Peaks app. However, I don't find Training Peaks very user-friendly. Therefore, I am planning to start using Running-Log.com as my new training log starting today (unless anyone has suggestions for other free online logs?) It is the end of an era!

5. Pets for Vets
Capitol Nutrition asked me to tell you about their Run for Vets 5K on June 6 in Orland Park, IL.


The goal of Pets for Vets is to help heal the emotional wounds of military veterans by pairing them with a shelter dog. Capital Nutrition is also working with the Disabled Patriot Fund to assist local veterans in financial need.  Dogs are welcome to participate in the race, too!

I think this race goes towards some really great causes. If I wasn't already running the Sunburst Half Marathon in South Bend that day, this would be a race I would love to do. I have long been a supporter of animal shelters. Additionally, my awareness of military veterans' needs has also been growing recently because of my brother-in-law, David, plus several other friends who are vets. Not to mention that Memorial Day is right around the corner.

--
Linking up with Heather, Katie, and Clare

14 comments:

  1. Yum! I love those lemon bars, too. Try the chocolate coconut one, it's good!

    Also, the cultural center is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate coconut.... yummy!!! Chocolate anything.... yummy!!!

      Next time you visit Chicago, go check out the Cultural Center! It's free and open to the public, and it's right across the street from Millennium Park. Totally worth it!!!

      Delete
  2. Aww, that sucks that Runners World is closing their training app. I actually use and love Training Peaks (it not just a runners world app). I've also enjoyed Daily Mile in the past two. Great job with keeping on your mileage goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! You love Training Peaks, eh? It does seem to have lots of great features for triathletes. But for some reason, I have trouble navigating how to even enter in a simple training run! Maybe the next time we get together, I might ask you to give me a crash course in Training Peaks usage. =D

      Delete
  3. Oh...I didn't know Luna had a salted caramel...come to mama. 12g of protein is awesome too. It was always my experience Luna was lower than other bars. But, oh so yummy. Congrats on your exact mileage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HoHo! Speaking of salted caramel, have you ever tried the Salted Caramel GU? It is so good that I wish I could eat five of them like a snack! What is it about the combination of salty and sweet that is so addicting!?!?!? =D

      Delete
  4. You're making me want to try the lemon zest bars. I got hooked up the Girl Scouts lemon cookies and I found the same mixture of tang and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Girl Scout cookies!!! Don't even get me started on those! My favorites are the Thin Mints but the lemon ones are amazing, too. I could go through an entire sleeve of those cookies in about 30 seconds flat! =D

      Delete
  5. Lemon zest Luna bars have been a long time favorite of mine! I keep a box of them in my drawer at work for snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize this flavor had been around for awhile! I wish I had known about it earlier. =D I'm going to start keeping a box of them at my desk for work snacking, too!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh!! My PB owners tried to get a studio in the WL last year and corporate told them no!!!! They aren't going to be very happy about this...they wanted the West Loop so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I wonder why PB Corporate would be opposed to a studio in the West Loop? That seems strange... maybe they thought it would cannibalize other nearby locations? Would love to hear the back story!

      Delete
  7. I've seen those Salted Caramel Luna bars all over blogs. Totally sounds like something I would like. I had my first Salted Caramel GU on my bike ride yesterday and it really perked me up when I was struggling.

    Thanks for sharing the information about that race! Chewie loves to run so much but I wonder how he would do in a race setting. I might have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Clearly Luna Bar is doing a big promotional push that is making its way out to bloggers. =) I LOVE Salted Caramel GU - it is probably my favorite flavor. It tastes like candy!

      Awww, that would be awesome if you and Chewie ran the Pets for Vets race! It is SUCH a good cause and I bet Chewie would help propel you to a possible PR. I hope you do participate! Any thoughts on bringing Chewie to the PAWS Run For Their Lives race this year, btw?

      Delete