Friday, September 28, 2012

Paying homage to g-g-g-groin injuries

Nine days and counting to the Chicago Marathon!

The nerves are really starting to kick in.  I keep thinking that if I were completely healthy, that I know I could knock out the 26.2 miles with no problem.  Almost all of my fears stem from worrying if my injuries will take me down.  (Those fears are closely followed by concern over the 6.5 hour cutoff time, since I'm worried about how much I could potentially slow down as the result of injury.)

However, there's probably a strong argument to be had that very few people cross the starting line of a marathon without some sort of ailment.  If I were a betting woman, I'd estimate that a good 80% of marathoners are running through aches and pains of some kind!  (To any of you who have or will ever run a marathon completely healthy, I ENVY YOU.)

I know I've said a lot (i.e. complained) about my injuries over the past few months, and I'll stop soon, I promise.  For now, though, my biggest concern remains the groin pain I've been experiencing recently.  However, it's not all bad news.  I haven't run at all this past week and am feeling better, thankfully.  And check out this positive spin on groin injuries!

(This might just become my new theme song.)

Happy Friday to all!


  1. I agree that 80% of marathoners have some kind of ailment. The other 20% think they have an ailment, but don't! Good thing you took the week off. The best remedy for a running injury is... not running!

    1. You bring up a good point, which is whether there are ever any marathoners that don't have nor think they have an ailment? That would be an interesting survey questions!

      I hope you are enjoying the final weeks of the taper prior to the big day next weekend! Weather forecast so far is looking promising (knock on wood!)

    2. Yes, the forecast looks good, so far (knock on wood)! Yes, that would be an interesting survey. Enjoy your taper, too!

  2. You were so smart to take it easy this last week. You can go into you race knowing that you played it smart and did all you could. This close to the race, it's all mental. You've prepared, you're ready, just do what you can to get to the starting line feeling positive. You are going to do great!*