Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sunshine Award

Post-marathon recovery continues in full force.  I very, very rarely get sick, and this week I've been battling the worst cold that I've had in recent memory.  Lesson learned that marathoning wreaks havoc on your immune system.  Wah, wah, wah.

That being said, the gorgeous Irina nominated me for the Sunshine Award last week!  Many thanks, Irina - your timing is spot on as I really do need some sunshine right now while battling this cold!!!


Rules:
  • If you are nominated you must include the link in a blog, linking to the person/blog that nominated you
  • You must answer some questions and nominate 7 fellow bloggers and link their blogs in your post
  • Let the people you have nominated know that you have nominated them!

1.  Who is your favorite philosopher?

After much consideration and in a nod to my Chinese heritage, I would say Confucius.  One of my many favorite quotes from him is, "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."  I truly believe that character and strength are not defined by success - they are defined by how you respond to adversity.

2.  What is your favorite number?

Number 3.  There are so many things in life that come in threes:

Three blind mice
Three wise men
Rock, paper, scissors
Three musketeers
Three ring circus
Three laws of motion
The good, the bad, the ugly
On your mark, get set, go
Three strikes and you're out
Three hockey goals for a hat trick
Three stooges
Third time's the charm
Three-dimensional
Gold, silver, and bronze

I could keep going but you get the idea.

3.  What is your favorite animal?

It's so hard to pick just one.  But I'd say dolphins because they are so intelligent and social, and they always seem to be having fun!


Honorary mention goes to penguins and cats.

4.  What are your Facebook and Twitter?

Here is my Facebook page, and my Twitter handle is Emmers712.  I am very hot and cold when it comes to tweeting - I go through spurts where I will tweet a lot and then other spurts (including now) where the only thing I tweet are links to my blog posts!  I should work on being a better Tweeter.

5.  What is your favorite time of day?

On weekends, I love the early morning when the whole day is ahead of me to do things I enjoy. 

On weekdays, I love the evenings after getting home from work, when I have the rest of the night to do things I enjoy.

Notice a pattern here?  =)

6.  What was your favorite vacation?

The best vacation I ever took was a solo trip to Bali, Indonesia.  It is truly a magical place. 

Traveling by myself in Bali, I took some travel risks that resulted in incredible experiences and memories.  Being of Asian descent, I was mistaken for a local many times and I took full advantage of it.  I haggled at the local markets.  I took surfing lessons and learned first-hand how unbelievably powerful the ocean is.  I visited artist studios and watched artistry in motion.  There was so much opportunity to get to know the locals and their customs and traditions. 


 
 

I made some wonderful friends in Bali that I am still in touch with to this day. I very much want to go back and see them someday!

7.  What is your favorite physical activity?

It goes without saying that I love running.  I also really love inline skating and ice skating, especially on beautiful days or nights.  Snorkeling is very high on the list, too (and I have been saying for years that I want to get scuba-certified).


8.  What is your favorite non-alcoholic drink?

ORANGE JUICE.  It's my cure-all for everything!  Since I find it too sweet straight from the carton, I drink it diluted with water.


If any orange juice manufacturers out there are looking for someone to endorse their product, please give me a call!!!  I will be the best spokesperson you could ever ask for!!!!!

9.  What is your favorite flower?

Orchids.  Love love love them.  They remind me of some of my favorite travel destinations, including Thailand and Hawaii.


10.  What is your passion?

Creativity.  I believe that creativity cannot be taught, and that it has to come from within.  To me, true creativity is a form of genius.


Your turn!!!  In alphabetical order, I nominate:

Amy at Army Amy
Erin at Eri-Thon
Kayla at Running: My Anti-Drug
Kim at Ilax Studios
Maggie at Mag Mile Runner
Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run
Xaarlin at Pain is Nothing

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better!

    We have the same favorite number.

    I would LOVE to hear more about your Bali trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good things come in threes, right? I'm not even sure that's how that saying goes, but lets just roll with it :) And you MUST write up a series of posts about your trip to Bali! You are so brave to travel on your own. It's honestly my dream to go on an adventure like you did, and I would love to hear more about how you did it!

    ReplyDelete