Tuesday, May 8, 2012

To Wine and Dine or not to Wine and Dine?

My race wish list is long.  Very long.  At the top of the list are the Disney races, especially the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon.

A few weeks ago, I had written about how the Home Team Charity 10K race was my favorite race that I've ever done because it was the perfect combination of running and my beloved Blackhawks.  But beyond the Blackhawks, some of my other top interests include cooking/food and traveling.  And lo and behold, the Wine and Dine Half would cover food and traveling!

I really, really, really want to run this race.  I've been pondering back and forth for months.


The practical side of me says:

"This year you're already running three half-marathons, plus your first-ever full marathon on October 7.  It's risky to run another half marathon on November 10th, just a month after running the Chicago Marathon.  You're already dealing with nagging aches and pains.  Do you want to risk being forced to walk around with crutches the entire winter following?  You think navigating Chicago winter and snow is bad now, just wait until you try doing it on one leg!" 

Speaking of doing things on one leg... (cue the scene from Miracle):


(I'm not sure if that's a good example or a bad example.)

The practical side of me also says:

"This race is expensive!  Beyond the registration fee, you also have to consider all the travel costs associated with going to Orlando for a long weekend... and don't forget the budget for incidentals!"

Some people define incidentals differently than others.

Conversely, the adventurous side of me says:

"You only live once!  The time is now!  Don't procrastinate on doing this!  This race would be unique and supremely fun, and completely different from any race you've ever done before.  You know you'll have the most amazing time!"

As Figment would say, "Use your imagination!"

The adventurous side of me also says,

"Don't worry about 'racing' this race!  Pacing, schmacing.  Splits, schnitz.  Just go enjoy yourself and focus on the important things, like which characters you'll get to take photos with!"

Allright.  Maybe I should look beyond myself and consult the experts.



(Sigh.)

Up until recently, I had pretty much convinced myself that I would be practical and wait until next year.  But I've been hankering to book a long weekend getaway for this fall after the marathon.  Then I saw that Wine and Dine race registration fees increase on May 22, which got me thinking again more urgently.  While it's certainly not the end of the world to register at a higher rate later on, it would be nice to take advantage of the lowest registration fees while they are available.

What to do?  What to do?


15 comments:

  1. You know, you probably will end up walking a lot of it and waiting in line to take pics with characters. So if you think you will be up for it after a full, go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thanks for the thoughts! I definitely think I will be up for it, but my fear is that it'll be like the "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" conundra! =P Have you run Wine and Dine before or know anyone that has?!?

      Delete
  2. Those races - especially that one look like a lot of fun. I've been wanting to do one for a While, but they are expensive. From what I've heard about the Disney races- its more for the experience as opposed to the actual race. Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Disney races are indeed expensive - they at the very upper range of what I am willing to pay for any race! Likewise, I've heard that they are about being fun as opposed to setting PRs (although, I guess those shouldn't be mutually exclusive). But we all need those pure fun races to keep ourselves energized, right? =D

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! The fun races I do enjoy quite a bit. Like Nike women's marathon. Hello tiffanys necklace- good bye PR! Haha

      I saw on your race wish page you were thinking about the Chicago spring half. Are you running it this weekend? I'll be there running it again :)

      Delete
    3. OOOOOOHHH, you've run the Nike Women's Marathon in San Fran!?!? So awesome! I've heard really great things about that race - how could anyone not enjoy a race that ends with a Tiffany necklace!?!?

      Sadly I won't be able to run the Chicago Spring Half this weekend because I'll be out of town. But I wish you a FANTASTIC race - you are going to do GREAT and I can't wait to hear the details!!!! Thankfully also it looks like the weather will be a LOT better this year than last year (it couldn't be much worse, that's for sure!)

      Delete
    4. NWM was fun. I'd definitely reccomend it- but only the half marathon. I did the full and the 2nd half was pretty boring. But those hot firefighters in tuxes giving out the Tiffany necklaces made up for it!

      Too bad you're out of town for the Half this weekend. And you're right- the weather can't be any worse than last year. It was super brutal! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I agree with your adventurous side - go for it!!!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amy! ANOTHER VOTE IN FAVOR, NOTED FOR THE RECORD!!! =D

      Delete
  4. Your thought process is so much like mine! I say if you can afford it, go for it. You only live once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts, and agreed that we have very similar thought processes!!! I am looking forward to hearing what your final decision is on RnR Chicago, too! =)

      Delete
  5. I always run a half at the beginning of NOV after Chicago. I either do 13.1 Valpo or Veterans in Columbia City, IN. However, this year, I'm seriously thinking about going to OR for one. Any deals on airfare???/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregon! Which half (or halves) in Oregon are you looking at?!? I've heard such great things in general about races in the Pacific Northwest, sigh...

      I haven't even begun to look at airfares yet (don't want to scare/tempt myself, LOL). But let's definitely keep each other posted if we see any good deals arise!!!

      Delete
  6. Tough decision... I ran the first wine & dine and thought it just ok. I have heard that they have tweaked some of the first year problems. Running at night in the parks is nice, but this race isn't going anywhere. Do you just want to do it, or do you want to do it when you can enjoy the run and the location?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You thought it was just okay, eh? Likewise, I've heard they've worked to improve it the second year. What issues did you personally experience the first year? Would you run it again?

      I want to run it because I love Disney, first and foremost, but also because the post-party at Epcot sounds amazing! (Although, admittedly I'm not sure how much energy I would have for scurrying around Epcot that late at night, especially after running a half marathon...)

      Delete