The time has come for another edition of that post.
Here's what I've got on the brain:
- After losing all desire for awhile to run, going through a few days of 60-degree temps that lit a virtual fire under my tush to go running. Excitedly making a running date with Erin only for a torrential downpour to make us take a raincheck. (Get it? A RAIN check? HAHAHAHAHAHA. I know, I know, bad joke. Welp, welp, welp.)
- In my desperation to break my 31-day running hiatus, doing the unthinkable. Getting up at 6 AM in the morning to knock out a couple of miles on the TREADMILL before going to work. (Usually treadmill + me = welp, welp, welp)
- Going for my first "real" run, a 5-mile run in the snow last Sunday. Getting so lost in my own thoughts that when another runner passed me and said good morning, getting so startled that I nearly jumped out of my skin.
- Getting excited about running the Michigan Wine Trail Half Marathon in August (for which registration hasn't even opened yet). But then, looking into lodging in the area for the weekend and realizing that availability is already EXTREMELY limited. Sigh.
- Winning an Injinji goody package from Maggie!!! THANK YOU!!! I can't wait to test out those toe socks.
- Still wavering on whether or not to run the 2013 Chicago Marathon, but starting to lean towards not this year. Debating on whether or not to try to run the Disney Marathon instead, but balking heavily at the 5:30 AM EST starting time. Who wants to wake up at the equivalent of 1:30 AM CST to run a marathon!?!?!?
And now, for the nonrunning items on my brain:
- I cannot begin to express to you how enthralled I am that NHL hockey is back. Adam and I have the TV set onto either a Hawks game or a Penguins game pretty much every night. It's been awesome. And I am SO pumped about my beloved Blackhawks and how well they've been playing.
- Speaking of my beloved Blackhawks, Adam and I went to see them play against the rival Red Wings last Sunday at the United Center. Incredible, dramatic, inspiring victory! Never mind that the Chicagoland area was under an ice-storm warning that day. Yours truly took a tumble on the icy sidewalk that resulted in a bruise on my leg that is literally the size of my fist. But, a bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart. (Extra credit to any of you that recognize that quote!!!)
- Finding the supposed recipe for Chris Chelio's chili online. Balking at making it because I first saw it on a Red Wings website. But then seeing it elsewhere and deciding to give it a go. Turns out it's a winner!
|Former Hawks defenseman Chris Chelios. Yay for Cheli's Chili!|
OK, so upon further review, most of the nonrunning items on my brain pertain to hockey. But here's something nonrunning and nonhockey related:
- Going to Cabo next week on vacation!!! This trip has really, really snuck up on me. Where does the time go!?!?!?
To be continued!
We do need to reschedule that running date. Let's do it when you're back from Cabo so I can pick your brain and hear all about it!ReplyDelete
For sure we need to reschedule the running date!!! We have a lot of things to catch up on!!!!!Delete
You should post the chili recipe! I miss eating it! Are you from Detroit?ReplyDelete
I had linked to the recipe in the text above but here you go!Delete
I am a Chicago girl, born and raised! Hence my rabid fandom of the Chicago Blackhawks. :D So no, I am not from Detroit. I did get married in SW Michigan, though!
If I recall correctly, you ARE from Michigan and that you are a Red Wings fan, yes!?!? Ooh, the hockey rivalry!!!
I'm about 85% sure I will be at Disney in 2014...maybe to tackle Goofy. The worst part about Disney is the 3 am wake up calls (Florida time) but they are fun and very well organized!ReplyDelete
Yay for both of us potentially running Disney in 2014 and for you potentially doing the Goofy Challenge! (I will NOT be attempting Goofy, that I can say for certain!). I have heard such great things about Disney races but that 5:30 AM starting time is so killer that it's almost a deal breaker for me =(. But if we both run Disney we will definitely have to get together and catch up in person!!!Delete
For sure! Just think though...if you start at 5:30, you're also done earlier and can relax by the pool the rest of the day :)Delete
Ah yes, this is true! Never mind that I would be sitting poolside wrapped up head to toe in compression gear, LOL. Sexy!!!Delete
In all seriousness, though, please do keep me posted on your thoughts for Disney and all of your other racing plans coming up. When do you think you'll next be back in Chicago?!?!?
I read your comment on my blog about running in the snow this weekend, but didn't make the connection that you were running again! Yay!!!ReplyDelete
And are you for sure doing the Michigan Wine Trail half? I think my husband is going to do it for his first half, so I'll be there spectating! And drinking wine!
And where else would you be able to find a recipe for Cheli's Chili than the home of the Cheli's Chili Bar and restaurant?! Just saying :)
Yay for snow runs, and for running altogether indeed!!! =DDelete
I would really love to do the Michigan Wine Trail Half but I am concerned about lodging. Pretty much every hotel I looked at in the area is already sold out that weekend (lots of wedding room blocks, I think). If I can't find a place to stay, then I can't run the race. =( But if I do, and if you and your husband will be there, we will DEFINITELY have to get together and catch up there! Let's keep each other posted on plans. =D
Cheli's Chili is good stuff! And you are right, he did indeed have restaurant locations in Detroit as well as in Chicago. ;)
Happy you got a run in!!! :)ReplyDelete
And yay for Cabo!
That wake-up time would freak me out too, but like Kayla said, I bet it's totally worth it :)
Yay for your trip to Utah coming up, too! I voted for you to do the half marathon and I'll post a comment shortly on your blog about my thought process for it. =)Delete
Ugh on the early-morning wakeup call for Disney... I wonder how many people are DNS simply due to oversleeping? LOL
So happy you got to run again :)ReplyDelete
Um Cabo!?! Have a wonderful time and drink loads of fruity drinks on the beach!
And I'm sure you'll figure out a marathon at some point. I've been struggling with possible spring/ fall races and trying to fit some other goals into the mix (TRI and 50k) so I think I'm stressing too much over non important things hehe. We should get together soon and catch up!
Thanks, Xaar! Did you spend much time in Cabo while you were living in Mexico? If so, all tips and suggestions are welcome!!!Delete
Isn't the marathon debate incredibly difficult!?!?!? So many factors to consider - it really is hugely stressful! But we ABSOLUTELY need to get together soon and catch up. I am dying to hear more details about your trip to Brasil!
Sadly I've never been to Cabo- I lived in Merida on the Gulf of Mexico. Cabo looks absolutely beautiful though.Delete
I'd only say don't be too "gringa" and say gracias and por favor (please) a lot. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time escaping this crap weather here :)
Great tips - and I absolutely agree with being too gringa. Without getting onto my soapbox, I get annoyed with people that go to other countries and expect that the natives will adapt to them instead of vice versa. But that's a whole other topic for another day.Delete
I would really love to hear more about your experience living in Merida, too! So much to talk about the next time we get together!!!
Emily, I too have been on a running hiatus..ugh! I just am not running like I was pre-injury and it makes me so mad...almost feel like I am starting all over., humpfff! You are one busy lady...have a great time in Cabo...ReplyDelete
Shannon!!! So good to hear from you. I have missed your posts!!! Totally feel your pain about not running the way we were pre-injury - it is THE most frustrating thing, ever. =( I've been told that usually it takes about a month to get back on track, so here's hoping that (or even less time) is the case for both of us. Big hugs!!!Delete
First of all...YAY for VACATION!!! Cabo is absolutely beautiful. I'm very excited for you to enjoy some time to yourself lounging around on the beach, sleeping in, swimming, etc. etc. Jealous! Second, congrats for breaking the no-run streak. I still have yet to break mine (last run = Jan. 1st ouch!) but hopefully I will this weekend!ReplyDelete
Thanks, Irina! After your post about the joys of those "me-days" I am excited to be able to put some of those thoughts into practice. =)Delete
I say no rush on breaking your running hiatus. It will always be there for you so do it when you are ready! And when you are, I am excited to hear about your plans for the Nike Women's Half in DC. It sounds like it'll be a BLAST!!!
I am most definitely on a bit of a running hiatus, too. I just cannot wrap my head around running outside in this weather so I've been trying to fill my time with other classes!ReplyDelete
Have a wonderful time in Cabo!
It is times like this that I am so envious of folks who live in temperate climates. =( They have no idea how fortunate they are to not have to deal with weather-related motivational challenges the way we do!!! Winter is definitely a great time for cross-training! What classes are you taking!?!?!?Delete