TGIF, everyone. So much race action and other physical challenge going on, where to begin?
- I finally gave in and registered for the Home Team Charity Run 10K, which takes place on July 14. It's a bit pricey for a 10K, but I love my Blackhawks too much to not run this race. On that note, I've been looking everywhere for a Blackhawks logo technical shirt, and have had a very difficult time finding any. However, this race provides one. It will be the first time I've ever done a race where I really care about the shirt!
- I've got two consecutive Thursday-night races lined up in July, the Bastille Day 8K on July 11 and the Esprit de She 10K on July 18. Both have absolutely fabulous festivities afterwards. I am a huge fan of evening races and it'll be awesome to enjoy gorgeous Chicago summer nights at these two races!
- I'm already signed up for the Rock N Roll Chicago Half Marathon on July 21. So I'll just save you the trouble of looking at the calendar and doing the math: I have a total of four races lined up within a 2-week period. Yes, this is crazy for me. But I definitely plan to run at least two, if not three, if not all of these races purely for ambience and fun. (July in Chicago is not usually the best time to be trying to set any PRs, anyways.)
- With all of these races coming up, I might even take the plunge and wear a race costume for the first time ever. Although, it's certainly challenging enough for me to run in running clothes, let alone a costume. So we'll see. At the moment, any costume ideas are still very much in the incubation stage. Although, I can GUARANTEE that I won't be wearing anything like this. EVER.
- I signed up for the Run For Boston Virtual 5K. I run 5K or more at least three times per week, so I figured this was well worth the cause and the virtual-race flexibility. Not to mention that Marcia is hosting a giveaway for registrants/donors. She's got some amazing prizes lined up and I am feeling lucky!
- I've always wanted to try stand-up paddle boarding! Thanks to Erica, I heard about some discounted lessons that are being offered, so I'll be taking a class soon with Erin and Xaarlin. I am really excited! ("Paddle up, dude!")
|It looks so easy! But I have learned from experience that many things are much more difficult than they appear...|
- Erin takes trapeze lessons, which I think is the coolest thing ever. She asked if anyone wanted to come check it out with her. Of course I took her up on the offer! I'll be going to my first-ever trapeze class in a few weeks. Flashback to playing on the jungle gym when I was in grade school. (OK, not really. But they better get that safety net tightened up! =D )
Happy weekend, everyone!
Prior to signing up for the Chicago Marathon, I was going to do the Rock and Roll half and wanted to do it under 90 minutes. Although, now I don't feel like dropping an extra $100 for something i do anyways.ReplyDelete
You have an action packed schedule! I'm very jello of you!
I've thought about just randomly doing a dressed up run for the reaction!
Have a great weekend.
Yeah, I've thought many times about the fact that I do a lot of my training runs along the same paths that many Chicago races take place. The RnR races are too expensive to do on a whim, in my opinion (or at least on a frequent whim). The schedule is very action packed but fingers crossed that I'll actually stay healthy for everything, LOL. If you were going to dress up for a race, any ideas on what kind of costume you would wear!?!?!?Delete
I hope you have a great weekend, as well!!!
Yay for trying new things!!!ReplyDelete
And I really love night races. Now I'm thinking about the Esprit de She race. And maybe the Burgers and Beer one, too, which is actually that Monday! Sure you don't want to add a 5th race to that schedule? :-)
It would be awesome if you ran the Esprit de She!!! Keep me posted on your thought process for it. Oooh, the Burgers and Beer - I had forgotten all about that one until now! Bummer on the timing... although if I did it just for fun, it would certainly be doable... decisions, decisions...!Delete
Always worried about getting sick/hurt near an event.ReplyDelete
I would probably do a morph suit! Don't want people knowing its me! Lol
I hear you on the fear of getting sick/hurt near an event. In the days before big races, I am meticulous about washing my hands!!!Delete
A morph suit? Love love LOVE IT!!!
I don't know Emily, I think you need more July races ;-) Wow are you going to be busy! I found a Cubs tech tee, but have never seen a Hawks one either.ReplyDelete
The Virtual 5k is a good idea! The official run is a week before my half, and I don't want to race (and I'm supposed to run 12 miles the day before), so I signed up to volunteer instead. Maybe I'll do the virtual as well!
The paddle boarding looks pretty cool! That was one of many things we didn't quite have time for in Hawaii, but I'd love to try sometime. You'll have to report back on how that goes!
Fingers crossed that I'll be able to stay healthy for everything! My hope is that by just having fun at some of these races and not "racing" them, that it'll reduce the risk of hurting myself. Unless, of course, I break my skull paddleboarding or something, LOL.Delete
Yay for you volunteering for the official Boston run! It sounds like there is going to be a great turnout there so it should be a blast!
Ah yes, I forgot about how prevalent paddle boarding must have been in Hawaii! Actually, if you want to try it out with Erin and Xaarlin and me, the discount on lessons is available until Monday! Here's the link:
Ooh, it's out of Hollywood Beach? That's right in my neck of the woods! That's a good deal, and I think I fall under "all fitness levels." :) Any idea when you're going, or should I just buy it and we'll figure it out? Is it okay if I crash your SUPing party????Delete
YAY!!! The time/date on the table at the moment is on Saturday, July 13 at noon - are you free then? If not, we can certainly find another time when everyone is free to go! The more the merrier! I was just telling Erin that this could be our next Chicago Running Blogger gathering. =)Delete
Oh - and we're looking at the $27 option, and yes, I would say if you're up for it, just buy it and we'll figure out a time that works for everyone!Delete
Okay - July 13th at noon works for me! I hope we have another gathering before that though, July is still far away!Delete
Hollywood beach? I can almost throw a stone to there! I'll look for runners on paddle thingies!Delete
Anne - AWESOME! So glad that the date/time work for you! And we'll plan another gathering ASAP before then. =)Delete
Declan - are you up for giving it a go?!?!? The tentative time is July 13 at noon and the more the merrier! Check out the link above to the discount site if you want to try it out with Erin, Xaarlin, Anne, and me!
I can always stop by! Not sure about doing a lesson.Delete
Oh geesh! I should not even be complaining about my schedule with all the stuff you have lined up! And all in a two week period! You badass!ReplyDelete
I just got an invite today for the Bastille Day 5k/8k and was thinking about the 8k since I have never done one. And I think that is one of Britt's favorite races :)
No, no, you've been so busy with your work, fitness routine, teaching, family gatherings, and travels! And all of these events I've got lined up are very compressed within a few weeks' time - before and after there's like nothing. LOLDelete
I think you and I got the same invite for the Bastille Day race!!! DO IT!!! Would be so awesome to catch up with you there!
Holy McMoly that's a lotta races! I think if you go in with the attitude to just enjoy yourself, like you said, you won't have trouble doing so many. I'm so jealous!ReplyDelete
I am a little crazy - but I figure if I treat a couple of these races just as training runs, it won't be as mentally scary as it sounds at the outset. No jealousy!!! There are so many races to pick from every weekend and I have no self control, LOL.Delete
I don't think you have enough races lined up. No seriously- there has to be a bunch you're missing in July. Haha. There always seems to be a bunch on Thursday nights near the aquarium in the summer- because I end up running with the race for a while since its my usual running area.ReplyDelete
I can't wait for paddle boarding :) and there must be a post paddle boarding party afterwards.
In all seriousness, I heard about the Burgers and Beer 5K which takes place on that Monday and I did want to do that one, too! But obviously not this year. Oooh - races on Thursday nights near the Shedd? Those sound awesome! I am all about evening races in the summertime!!! And we need to find a nice fun race to run together soon. =)Delete
I can't wait for paddle boarding and our post-paddle boarding party, too!!! It is going to be EPIC!!!