Sunday, October 2, 2016

Fall eats and Sep 26 - Oct 2 training recap

I am officially in fall food mode!
Source
This past week, some of the items I've made include green bean casserole, roasted turkey, pumpkin pie, chili, and matzo ball soup. I also bought my first batch of Ambrosia apples (my favorite kind of apple), a butternut squash, and a spaghetti squash. I'm looking forward to tearing up the kitchen even more in the next few weeks!

Last Friday, Adam and I went to a neighborhood restaurant called Hello Tacos de cero. I had some pozole verde soup and it really hit the spot on a chilly, rainy evening. Now I want to try replicating the recipe at home.
Not the actual soup, but very similar in appearance to what I did have.
Source
Moving on from the food talk, here are my workouts from the past week:

MONDAY - 10 minutes stationary biking, 30 minutes strength-training
TUESDAY - Yoga class, run 3.2 miles
WEDNESDAY - Zumba class, Mobility 101 class
THURSDAY - Strength Max class
FRIDAY - Yoga class, run 3.3 miles
SATURDAY - Kim's boxing class with Anne, run 3 miles
SUNDAY - Citystrong Chicago workout

Highlights from the week included Kim's boxing class yesterday with Anne. This was the second time I've taken Kim's class, so I had a better idea of the killer workout awaiting me. =) I hadn't seen Kim or Anne in a long time, so it was great to see them. It was also great to run into my friend Jen, who I didn't know was going to be at the class!
We are going to Pump. You. Up. =D
Afterwards, Kim, Anne, and I went on a nice 3-mile run in the neighborhood. It gave us some time to chat and catch up. Really fun times!
From L to R: me, Anne, and Kim
This morning, thanks to the Windy City Bloggers, I attended a CityStrong Chicago workout at 31st Street Harbor. I used to live at 31st and Michigan, so this was a nice visit to my old stomping grounds. The neighborhood has changed a lot over the past few years.
Aerial view of 31st Street Harbor
Source
The workout was led by Erin Oprea and Shawn Booth. It included many variations of body weight exercises like lunges, squats, crunches, planks, and push-ups.
Source
There was also a live performance by Abi Ann, music by some local DJs, and an appearance by Kaitlyn Bristowe. I had heard of Erin Oprea because she is Carrie Underwood's personal trainer, but I wasn't familiar with any of the others. Apparently Shawn Booth and Kaitlyn Bristowe were on "The Bachelorette"? I've never watched any of those prime-time reality dating shows (yes, I know that makes me a heathen).

Here are a few photos:
My view of the stage
The attendees
The location afforded us scenic views of both the lake and the Chicago skyline (although, it was overcast, so visibility was limited). Since the Bears had a home game today, we could also smell grilling aromas from all the tailgaters nearby. That made it tough to concentrate on working out! =D

Here's a post-workout photo of me with Monica and Kate from Chi Organic Girls.
L to R: Kate, me, Monica
Looking ahead...
The Army 10-Miler is next weekend in DC. I am not feeling as prepared as I would like. Two weekends ago, I did an 8.5-mile long run. I had intentions of doing a 10-mile long run either last weekend or this weekend, but skipped both due to time constraints.

I am debating trying to squeeze in a 10-miler after work either tomorrow or Tuesday night. However, quarter-end close begins tomorrow so work will be busy. I may end up going to DC with very rested legs, so to speak. If so, I know I'll still be fine. But if I do go as is, it'll be the most minimal preparation I've done for a double-digit race since my first-ever half marathon in 2002.
How was your week and weekend?

--
Linking up with HoHo and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap, and with Angela and Ilka for the Sunday Fitness & Food Linkup.

32 comments:

  1. Fun week Em! Seeing the Bears tailgaters cracks me up. Some of the stuff they drag out there...
    How great to see Kim! It's been to long for me. I can't tell you how many runs I've simply run out of time for and had to cut short. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia! Yes, it is hilarious seeing some of the really diehard Bears tailgaters with their massive equipment. Hopefully you'll get to see Kim, and some of the other CRBs, soon! Isn't it frustrating how training can be such a suck on time? When marathon training, it can pretty much wipe out an entire day between all the preparation, the run itself, and the recovery. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. This CityStrong event looked like so much fun! I totally would have joined in as well! I never had a pozole verde soup - but it sounds delicious! I'm looking forward to some fall recipes, too! I just love everything pumpkin! Great training log!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ilka! Thank you as always for hosting the link-up. Hurray for fall recipes and pumpkin everything! It's really easy to get into the spirit of the season with so many great food options, yes? =)

      Delete
  3. I'm ready for fall food too. I always make an apple pie in the fall, so I'm planning that soon and seeing what kind of apples are available at the store. I always get an assortment so there's different flavors in the pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I love the idea of using an assortment of apples within the same pie! So ingenious!!!!! Will you share your recipe?

      Delete
  4. I am trying to eat fall food but the weather hasn't been cooperating! It's still not cool enough for me to enjoy that yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you - it seems like the fall weather comes to visit for a little bit, then gets scared and goes away again, right? LOL

      Delete
  5. It was so fun to work out with you on Saturday! I hope you can come back again soon! Or if you ever want to take a Sunday class with me and my old trainer in Edgewater, let me know and I'll come down :)

    That sounds like a cool workout on Sunday! How fun to be back in your old 'hood - it's nuts how quickly some areas in Chicago seem to change, even over the course of a couple of years.

    Good luck this weekend! Fresh legs may be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun to work out with you on Saturday, too! Thank you for being patient with me as I tried to learn some of the boxing sets from both sides. =) That would be fun to take a class with you and meet the famous Katy!!! Maybe we can figure out a time to do so over the next few months? How did it go yesterday?

      Thanks Anne - it is really crazy how quickly neighborhoods can change. I bet you've seen a lot of changes in your old neighborhood, too!!!

      Appreciate the good luck wishes and hurray for super-fresh legs, hehehe. =)

      Delete
    2. Of course! We all have to learn sometime, and you did an awesome job! :) Yesterday's class was really challenging, but a lot of fun!

      Yes, between my old neighborhoods in the city and even the suburb that my office is in, I've seen A LOT of changes over the past 12 years. When I started working there were like 3 restaurants to choose from without having to go to the mall (#suburbanproblems haha) and now there's so many options - the area has gotten so built up!

      Just call it an extra long taper! :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for coming up! It was fun to see you!

    That workout sounds fun, especially the DJ part! I haven't seen those shows either, and also wouldn't have known who they are!

    LOL, skip a 10 miler a few days before your 10 miler race!!! Save the 10 miler soreness for this weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting the class! As per usual, it was an amazing workout and I appreciate the personalized instruction. =) It was awesome to see you and Anne, as always!!!

      Group workouts outdoors with live music are a recipe for fun times! Has there ever been consideration of doing your boxing class outdoors!?!?!!?

      The Army 10 is this Sunday, so I figure if I run tonight that will give me six days to recover, which should be sufficient. But I'll happily listen to someone telling me to take it easy. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yay, I am happy you liked it! And it's such a honor for me to have a special guest from far away!!! :)

      Yes! And some of the other weekend classes are outside! :)

      Yeah, take it easy - you don't want to bring your weekly mileage to something higher than you've been doing just to feel more prepped! Think long term ;) IMHO of course! LOL!

      Delete
  7. Yums! now I'm craving pozole verde! I haven't had that in forever! I requested red pozole for my birthday, but nobody ever listens to me and I got nothing.

    I'm sure you will rock your 10 miler! that sounds like an exciting distance!! Now I want to find a 10 miler!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, red pozole? I've never tried that! Adding it to my list for future reference! When is your birthday? I will send you some virtual red pozole on your big day. =)

      Thank you, Ana!!! The 10-miler is my favorite race distance! Long enough that you don't have to run at a puke-fast pace, but not so long that the miles become mind-numbing. Usually at a half marathon I'm ready to be done around Mile 10. =)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! Yes for soup in the fall - there is nothing better, yes?

      Delete
  9. Gah! I'm SO jealous you got to go to CitySTRONG! I didn't even know about it until way too late. But yes, Kaitlyn was the Bachelorette in 2015, and Shawn won that season and is now her fiance (fiancee? I can never remember which one has two "e"s). Anyway, that's the only reason I wanted to go haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about you when I heard of the Bachelorette connection! To be honest, though, unless you paid extra for a VIP event ticket, you were working out quite a distance from the stage and didn't get to meet any of the trainers. From what I heard, the VIP tickets sold out pretty quickly, too. So it was pretty much a celebrity workout from afar. You didn't miss a whole lot!

      Delete
  10. I think the 8.5 mile run will take you far. I wouldn't be concerned with trying to squeeze in another now for risk of being over tired. Of course that's just me -- the overthinker. Since it's still pretty warm here, I'm not in fall food mode yet. I'm sure it will be here soon enough. Thanks for linking, Emily. Good luck at your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HoHo! I thought a lot about how for marathons, many folks peak on the 20-miler three weeks in advance... so for a 10-miler, peaking at 8.5 three weeks in advance would be relatively comparable, right? Super excited for you to run Chicago next weekend - I will be thinking about you! Thanks for hosting the linkup with Tricia, as always, and big hugs!!!

      Delete
  11. All your Chicago events look so cool! I am looking forward to hearing about the Army 10 Miler as I think I may want to do that race some time.

    I also bought Spaghetti squash this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've heard rave reviews about the Army 10, too, so I am looking forward to the experience. =) FYI - the race sells out very quickly, so if you want to run it in the future, mark your calendar for when registration opens!

      Hurray for spaghetti squash!!! It's such a fun food - I am always so fascinated by the spaghetti-ness, hehe.

      Delete
  12. Your talk of fall is making me crave some pumpkin pie! :) Sounds like you had a great week of workouts! I'm looking forward to doing more strength training once the marathon is done. Even got a group of gals to do them with so it should be fun. Good luck in DC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, pumpkin pie is the bestest, isn't it? =) That is awesome that you've got a great group to strength-train with after the marathon is over. Having a support group and the cameraderie can make such a difference. Thank you for the good luck wishes! I am bummed that I will miss you next weekend when you are in town for the Chicago Marathon, but I wish you a FANTASTIC race. I'll be thinking about you!!! Hugs!!!

      Delete
  13. Thanks Kelly! I was feeling really lost as I was watching everyone around me fawning over the trainers, LOL. Glad I wouldn't have been the only one! I think strengthwork and stretching make a HUGE difference, even more so than putting in more miles! I can embrace the run less, stretch/strength train more approach wholeheartedly. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If the CityStrong workout hadn't conflicted with my 10K I would have loved to workout outside! I don't care much about celebrity trainers but I'm always up for a new and different type of workout. You had a busy week so I think it makes sense that you rest your legs for DC :-) Your base fitness is totally fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your 10K PR!!! I agree, working out outdoors is awesome, especially when the weather is so beautiful. It's nice to mix up the routine and get a new spin on the usual classic exercises, yes?

      Spoiler - I did end up doing 10 miles after work on Monday night. And now it's time to rest. =) Thanks Erin!

      Delete
  15. What a fun looking event! Yall have so many options. Wow I noticed what a cool looking bowl that soup is in too! It is just now getting the right time for soup. I made cabbage soup for the first time last weekend. It was pretty good! Thanks for linking up with us and good luck in your race!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia!!! Oooh - I didn't notice the cool soup bowl until you pointed it out. Good eye! Cabbage soup - YUMMY!!! Will you share the recipe? Thank you for co-hosting the linkup with HoHo, as always!!!

      Delete
  16. Thank you so much, Karen! One of my favorite quotes is by Frank Sinatra, where he says, "You only live once. But if you lived like me, once is enough." I try to embody that quote. =)

    Kim is awesome! I am hopeful that one day we will all be in the same space at the same time, too!!!

    ReplyDelete