Sunday, October 16, 2016

Weekly recap - October 10-16

Last week I had an extremely rough stretch in the office. Thankfully, it was balanced out by some cool after-work events and one of the most fun weekends I've had in recent memory. God taketh away and God giveth!!!
Friday Five
First things first, check out my Friday Five on the Windy City Bloggers Collective last week.
My headshot for my WCBC Friday Five post
My guest post features EricaLaurenMaggie, and Erin. All hail to my fellow Chicago Running Bloggers!

Workout summary and some fitness tweaks
Here are my workouts from the week:

MONDAY - Yoga class
TUESDAY - 40 minutes strength-training
WEDNESDAY - Zumba class, Mobility 101 class
THURSDAY - Strength Max class
FRIDAY - Yoga class
SATURDAY - 3 miles of speedwork (10-minute warm-up, 2:1 tempo/recovery ratio at 7.5 MPH/3.0 MPH, 7 repeats), 20 minutes strength-training
SUNDAY - Rest

More on this later, but I want to increase my strength work from two days a week to at least three. I also want to include more interval work on my cardio days. Both of these intentions led to my speedwork/strength-work combo yesterday. The speedwork was challenging, as it always is, which is always why I struggle to find the motivation to do it. I need to keep reminding myself that even a little bit of moderate interval training is better than none at all.

Now, let's shift to recapping the festivities from the past week/weekend!

Break the Fast
On Wednesday night, Adam's colleague, Brian, invited us to a "Break the Fast" dinner following Yom Kippur. It was a fun gathering with lively company and an enormous amount of food.
Not surprisingly, the desserts were my favorite part!
Bling it On
On Thursday night, Erin and I attended a party at Golden Crown Jewelers, where our friend Margaret works. I got to try on a couple of rings, both with price tags that made my eyes glaze over.
It was fun to play Kate Middleton for 15 seconds, LOL. Needless to say, I did/could NOT make any impulse purchases that night!

Dining for Dimes
On Friday night, Adam and I attended the March of Dimes Signature Chefs Auction. Adam's friends Dan and Lori are big supporters of the March of Dimes Foundation, and they invited us to join their table.
One of several dessert options
The chefs on stage being recognized for their contributions
Over a dozen local chefs provided a number of showstopping food tastings for the attendees. Food aside, it was unbelievable to witness the incredible generosity of the donors to the cause, and to see some real-life beneficiaries. Their stories were very inspiring.

Open Doors
On both Saturday and Sunday, I took advantage of the Open House Chicago event, which is hosted by the Chicago Architectural Foundation. This is a weekend in which over 200 buildings provide free behind-the-scenes access. I relish any opportunities to explore the city beneath the surface, so this is one of my favorite weekends of the year.

The Open House Chicago sojourns deserve their own post. In the meantime, here is a snapshot from Sts. Volodymyr & Olha Ukrainian Catholic Church, one of the sites I visited yesterday:
Hockey is Back
Last night, Adam and I went to our first Blackhawks game of the season. It felt really great to be back. I love feeling the energy of the team and the fans, hearing the music, and watching the spectacular skill and talent on the ice. As I've said many times, there are few things I enjoy more than watching a live Hawks game at the United Center.
Warm-ups
The pregame show displaying the name/number  of Artemi Panarin, my favorite player
What a rush to witness the Blackhawks' adrenaline-inducing victory, including Richard Panik's first career hat trick! Woooooooo!!!!!!

The night was made even more exhilarating because...

Two teams, one city
The Cubs were playing NLCS Game 1 at the same time as the Blackhawks game. In between periods, we got to watch the Cubs game on the UC scoreboard:
After the Hawks win, hundreds of Blackhawks fans camped out in the concourses to watch the remainder of the Cubs game on the stadium televisions:
It was there that Adam and I saw Miguel Montero's grand slam, which caused the crowd to erupt in raucous cheers. (Exceptions: Any White Sox fans in the vicinity made their presence known with some very, uh, dissenting reactions.) I thought the atmosphere in the concourses was just as good as, if not better than, any sports bar. =)

And now...
Time once again to prepare for another upcoming week in the office! (How do the weekends always go by so quickly???) I am looking forward to a quieter schedule this week.

Tell me about your week and weekend!

--
Linking up with HoHo and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap, and with Angela and Ilka for the Sunday Fitness & Food Linkup.

35 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm hoping for a calmer, kinder week at work. I do feel somewhat vindicated that it was a full moon last week. But enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it ever a full moon! I noticed it last night when I was walking home and it was super bright!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed that you knocked out such a great workout week with so many fun events AND a crazy work week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie! My office has an onsite fitness center, and I take full advantage of using it during my lunch hour!!! =D

      Delete
  3. Great pics. I love the dress in your head shot. Those desserts look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate it! And I probably took too much advantage of the desserts, LOL.

      Delete
  4. The Open House Chicago looks awesome! I'm a total art geek, and LOVE seeing architecture at its finest. Wish I lived a tad bit closer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open House Chicago really is an amazing event! I've discovered so many hidden jewels through it. I wish you lived a tad closer, too!

      Delete
  5. I'm very happy hockey is back. The Wings may not have had a good start, but they're still my team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long season! A lot of things can happen over the course of 82 games! I remember the Anaheim Ducks started the year out losing something like 8 games in a row last year, but still ended up being extremely competitive down the stretch. Plenty of time!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Karen! I am very blessed to live in a city that offers so many cool events. Yes, can you imagine what it'd be like to walk around every day with that kind of jewelry on your finger? Wow! Hurray for intervals - now if we can just keep doing them consistently, right? =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG those rings. I would have loved to go to that event! 100 hearts and more. Too bad we are not infinitely rich and can afford such things. Though, I do have to question if I would actually spend my money on such jewelry even if I could afford it, knowing what good that kind of money could do elsewhere ... for example, I could be buying hundreds of desserts such as you featured in this blog as well. And you know how much I love desserts! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I continue to say that we think SO MUCH alike it's crazy. It's like you took the thoughts right out of my head and typed them out because I had the exact same sentiments. AMEN to hundreds of desserts, my friend, AMEN!!! =D =D =D

      Delete
  8. Your last comment about the weekend reminded me of what my son said to me a while ago. He said "Mom, why do weekends go by so fast? is it because we are having so much fun? Can we have less fun, and see if they last longer?"

    I hope your week at work goes better this coming week!

    very fancy jewelry!! too bad you couldn't take it home!

    what do you have in mind to increase your strength work outs? I have been considering trying out Piyo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - very cute that your son wants to try having less fun to see if the weekends last longer! Sadly the workdays pretty much epitomize the days lasting longer under that philosophy. =)

      Thanks Ana! I hope you have a good week coming up, too!

      Yes, too bad about the jewelry not being included in the night's goody bags. Sigh!

      I've never tried Piyo but have heard good things about it! Let me know what you think about it if you do try it. My plan is just to add more weight-lifting, maybe in a couple more daily increments of 10-20 minutes. Or maybe some squats or lunges while watching TV, that kind of stuff. That way it's not psychologically as difficult to start, and over time these things will hopefully add up a bit!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to read more about your Open House-ing! I've gone every year I've lived here and love it so much. I stuck to mostly downtown buildings this year, per usual, but I REALLY wish I had made it to the South Side, since it looked like there were a ton of great sites. Maybe next year...

    Those rings are eye-popping! They don't even look real, they're so big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany!!! I was thinking about you over the weekend because I know you love Open House-ing as much as I do!!! I thought I might run into you at some of the sites. I also visited a bunch of the downtown sites yesterday - which ones did you see? This year was the first time I ventured outside of downtown and the West Loop. Just like you, I've already got ideas for next year, too. =) Are you going to do an Open House write-up, too??? Would love to read yours!

      Agreed on the rings looking like costume jewelry since they are so big! It's hard to comprehend their magnitude!

      Delete
  10. You look gorgeous! I am so jealous of being that close to so many amazing Chefs! I am hoping for a quiet week this week, although I say that with knowing I've got several appointments to juggle after work 2 days this week! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! I hope your week goes smoothly this week, especially with all the appointments you have to juggle. It can get stressful trying to manage the calendar - so all the time we can have to catch up on our own is always so wonderful, yes? I hope you have a wonderful week, too!

      Delete
  11. Boy, you certainly do stay out and about! I'm always interested in seeing where you will be next. The Open House Chicago event sounds very interesting. Those rings! Did they had security guards watching your every move? Thanks for linking, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, HoHo! I'm very blessed that Chicago has so many incredible events and resources. LOL - no security guards, but I'm sure there were cameras posed at every single angle to watch our every move. It'd be insane if they let that kind of inventory go wandering around without SERIOUS monitoring. Thank you, as always, for hosting the linkup with Tricia!!!

      Delete
  12. Thank you, Kelly! I am sorry to hear you also had a tough workweek. How did the move go? I know it's always a stressful process, so hopefully it went as smoothly as possible. The one good thing about moving is that it is a great opportunity to get rid of excess clutter and to reorganize! How are you enjoying the new place so far?

    Thank you for the kind words on the dress!

    LOL - I had what my high school math teacher would call "analysis paralysis" when it came to the three desserts because I didn't know where to start. =D

    Yay for the Avs winning their home opener!!! Cheers to the upcoming hockey season being a great one for all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun week you had last week! Last week flew by thanks to being off on Monday. One year I will participate in Open Doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky to have had the day off last Monday! 4-day workweeks are awesome, aren't they? I wish we could have them all the time. Yes, check out Open House Chicago next year - it's so much fun!

      Delete
  14. The life of a city girl! You just do the coolest stuff! I don't know if it's just my new proximity to Chicago or the great sports teams, but the city looks more and more appealing. When Stephen gets home we have got to make a plan to go be tourists there for a weekend. In the meantime, I'm living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! Yes, come to Chicago!!! In general, I'd recommend NOT visiting during the wintertime, but the holiday season is very festive. Feel free to come on up if you want to visit before Stephen gets back - I'd love to show you around my hometown!!!

      Delete
  15. Woah! That Ukrainian church looks like it is something out of medieval Europe! I bet you're super excited that hockey is back. It's cool that they let the fans watch the end of the Cubs game at the UC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The architecture in the Ukrainian Village is unbelievable. You really do feel like you got transported into another continent when you step into some of the churches there! I am actually in a little bit of shock that hockey is back. Since the weather has been so warm this fall, it doesn't quite feel like it's time yet! But this rabid Hawks fan will certainly take it, of course. =) Go Hawks and go Cubs!!!

      Delete
  16. Those desserts look so good! And those rings - cute but I bet they were heavy! lol I would be so nervous wearing something that big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desserts were fantastic and my pants are already feeling tighter as a result, LOL. Yes - the rings made me nervous, too! That was part of the reason I only tried them on for a few seconds, I was worried I might accidentally break them and then be liable for the very high price tag!!! =D

      Delete
  17. Wow you had such a fun week! The events you went too were so cool! Tell me did you get that sick feeling when you tried on those rings? I think I would have, lol. So not use to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia! Yes - I definitely got that feeling because I am so not used to that kind of extravagant jewelry, either. I can't imagine what it'd be like to wear a ring like that all the time, right???

      Delete
  18. Sounds like a fun and busy week! Those rings! Wow! Hubby is happy that hockey is back as well and loves that he can watch both the Cubs and Blackhawks. Seems sports is all that is on in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Your husband must be in sports heaven right now with all the options available. Sports are all that are on in my house, too. =)

      Delete
  19. Can't wait to hear the updates once things settle down for you!

    ReplyDelete