Sunday, June 12, 2016

Andrea Bocelli and June 6-12, 2016 training recap

Life is so good! It's summertime, the sun is shining, and the skies are blue. Last night, Adam and I made dinner on the grill and ate outdoors. Today we went to Blues Fest. The produce markets are glorious right now. There were outdoor activities aplenty this weekend. My social media feeds are filled with folks running races or exercising outdoors. What a time to be alive!

To quote that iconic Porgy and Bess song:
First off, and speaking of spectacular music, the Andrea Bocelli concert on Friday night was STUNNING. Thank you to Adam for getting the tickets. It was one of the most stirring and captivating performances I've ever experienced in my entire life. Bocelli's vocals are truly magical, more than I can even begin to describe in words. 
There were moments I was moved to tears (and was wishing I had some Kleenex in my purse). I didn't think it was possible for Bocelli to be better in person than on tape, but absolutely he is.

Bocelli's show was a very interesting mixture of musical genres ranging anywhere from opera to pop to Broadway and Hollywood soundtracks. He included guest performances and duets with singers Renee Fleming, Maria Aleida, and Jessica Sanchez; his wife Veronica; and violinist Caroline Campbell. Everyone was magnificent, but I was especially blown away by Jessica Sanchez (I learned she's an American Idol alum). The show even featured some professional dancers.

I have long considered Con Te Partiro to be Bocelli's signature song and my favorite. On Friday I discovered a new favorite - Canto Della Terra (translates to "Song about the Earth"):
Italian is such a beautiful language. 
I want to learn Italian. 
I want to BE Italian.

I've listened to this song about 25 times since Friday night. It is incredibly emotive. Yesterday, I was on the treadmill doing incline work and had this song on repeat almost the entire time. What a difference it made during those tough intervals.

We may be on to something here with workout music choices...
On that note, let's (reluctantly) shift gears into training recap mode.

Here are my workouts from the week:
MONDAY - 10 minutes stationary biking, 40 minutes lifting
TUESDAY - Rest
WEDNESDAY - Zumba class
THURSDAY - Yoga class
FRIDAY - 10 minutes stationary biking, 30 minutes lifting
SATURDAY - Run 3 miles on treadmill with incline work (10 minute warm-up, 1-minute ladder intervals betweens levels 3-7), 10 minutes of strength work on shoulders/back
SUNDAY - Yoga video

I've done so little running over the last few weeks. Honestly, I haven't missed it. But I realized that Rock N Roll Chicago is five weeks from today, so I need to keep my conditioning up. Sadly, long runs are a ghastly thought right now, especially in the summer heat. Why did I sign up for these races again? Sigh.
More optimistically, my treadmill incline work yesterday felt good. Normally I wouldn't use the treadmill on a Saturday afternoon. However, the temperature outside was in the 90s and I had no interest in battling that kind of heat. I was happy to discover I haven't lost all the gains from my spring hill-training. The body really is an amazing thing!
On a different note, I love the results I am seeing from strength-training. The countless squats and lunges have finally eliminated the stubborn piriformis pain I'd been dealing with for years. I used to have a standing post-run date with the foam roller, otherwise I'd literally have a pain in the butt for the rest of the day. Not anymore! For me, this is an enormous win.

That aside, I am ready to shake up my lifting routine. I feel like there are only so many variations you can work each muscle group before it gets very repetitive. This will be my next area of fitness research.

Also next on the to-do list: Get outside more! I wanted to do outdoor yoga at Millennium Park yesterday morning, but didn't get up early enough. Hopefully next weekend.
How about you, how are you enjoying summertime so far? What other plans do you have to enjoy the season?

--
Linking up with HoHo and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap.

27 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the concert so much!
    I hear ya on the running. I haven't been doing a lot and almost dread starting to train for my fall half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Truly the only bad thing about summer is having to train in the heat and humidity. It's the worst part about fall races!

      Delete
  2. I'm so on the fence about RnR Chicago! There's the whole PF thing (which I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about, but there it is). There's the predicted steamy temps. And there's my lack of motivation. I'm just going to wait and see how things shake out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I never look at RnR Chicago as a target race because the conditions are just too difficult in July. To me, it's just a fun opportunity to run the city, no goals in mind! Please keep me posted on your thought process, it would be great to see you if you do decide to pull the trigger!

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping to get to morning yoga on Wednesdays one of these days at Millennium Park. Seems like such a cool way to start your morning!

    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I forgot they are now hosting yoga on Wednesday mornings, too! So cool! Sadly, I have a heck of a time getting up early enough just to get to the office on time, let alone going to yoga in the park. So that will have to be reserved for Saturday mornings for me. =)

      Delete
  4. I plan to enjoy the summer on the water, in the water, around the water...you get it. Why is food so much better in the summer outside on the grill? Tonight it was fresh fish from our recent deep sea trip. It is unspeakably hot and I haven't wrapped my head around marathon training yet. I must have been insane when I hit that registration button. The Bocelli concert sounds magical. I think you'll do great at RnR Chicago. Thanks for linking with us Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Bodies of water just epitomize summertime!!! You are a waterskiing queen! I've often wondered the same thing about why food on the grill outside always tastes so much better. Must be all the fresh oxygen aerating our taste buds? =) Indeed, the worst part about summer is training in the heat and humidity. Normally I'm not big on waking up super early to run, but in the summertime you almost have no choice! Thank you, and thanks to you and Tricia as always for hosting!

      Delete
  5. I heard Andrea Bocelli once in London and I understand how excited you were about the performance. We also enjoy eating outside and I love it when my husband does the grilling. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a treat it would be to hear Bocelli in London! He puts on an AMAZING concert. I think it's a hobby for men to grill, it dates back to the old cave man days, yes? I hope you have a great week, too!

      Delete
  6. Years ago I heard one of his songs in Spanish with another singer for a telenovela. Wonderful! Since then I have not listened to any of his songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Bocelli speaks several languages! The classical opera singers all do, yes? He is beautiful in any language. =)

      Delete
  7. OMG I Adore AB! We actually saw him perform in Italy back when we were living in the UK. I'm so glad you got to enjoy. He's amazing. Yay for these glorious summer days. Sounds like you are making the most of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH. MY. GOD. That would be the experience of a LIFETIME to see Bocelli in ITALY. I can only imagine how stunning it must have been! Yay for summertime for all of us - and congrats on your tri yesterday!!! That must have felt awesome!

      Delete
  8. I don't do any summer races because some days it's difficult to get my rear to the treadmill. It's already hot and steamy, and I'll gladly keeping focusing on strength training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree! Strength training in an air-conditioned setting is perfect for these hot summer days!!! Summer races, in my opinion, are always just meant to be run for fun - never for PRs!

      Delete
  9. What a fun week for you! and an Andrea Bocelli concert! how fun!

    I'm glad that the piriformis pain is gone! I heard in a podcast that, aside from feet, glutes take quite a being during running !

    I'm sure you will do great in your upcoming race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! Likewise - your concert in NYC sounds like it was AWESOME, too. OMG - other than my feet, my glutes are indeed the most sensitive after running! Sometimes my abs, too. It's amazing how much running touches the entire body, not just the legs. Thank you for your confidence in me for RnR Chicago!

      Delete
  10. Afternoon outdoor running in the summer is pretty brutal, so it was a wise choice to take it inside to the treadmill. Glad to hear that you have retained your "hill fitness". I'm trying to acclimate slowly to the hot temps, because I know it will be almost 80 degrees at 6:30am the day of the RnR and I want to be prepared! Isn't it amazing that when we get stronger, we need the foam roller/massage gadgets less? I used to use "The Stick" all the time to roll out the knots in my muscles. Now I shock people when I tell them my weekly mileage and that I don't use one at all - thanks 3x per week strength training and 2x per week yoga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pete! I need to work on acclimating to the hot temps, too, but wow am I dragging my feet on doing it. I know the harder you make things on yourself during training, the easier it will be on race day, but that takes a lot of motivation! I am blown away that you plan on attempting a PR at RnR Chicago. In my mind, any race in July is going to include extra hurdles even before adding in the PR attempt! You must really like to challenge yourself!!!!! Yes, it is fantastic how we need the foam rolling less when we get stronger! It saves a lot of time in the long haul, too. =) Yay for strength training and yoga - they've both made a world of difference for me, as well!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much, Karen! I am bummed to hear that you've been dealing with ongoing issues in your left hamstring. I can relate very much, as my hamstrings are a weaker spot for me, too. Physical therapy works wonders over time! Racing is darned near impossible during the summertime, and the heat and humidity is killer when it comes to running. I wish I could wear tanks and shorts until January, for us it's the exact opposite! Just yesterday I was walking around outside and feeling chilly, sigh. I'm with you on the treadmill, too - I generally prefer other workout modes unless I'm in desperation mode!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed the Bocelli concert! There's still time for you to prepare for RnR Chicago. I know it is so hard to get motivated to do those long runs in this heat though. We're going to take another trip to the beach and a trip to the Smoky Mountains before school starts back August 1st. Summer is going by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! Five weeks, while not a long time, will still indeed allow for reasonable preparation. I've done my crash course in half marathon preparation within a 3-week period, LOL. The Smoky Mountains will be a fantastic trip! Wow - August 1 is really early for school to start back up, so definitely let's make the most of the time away!

      Delete
  13. Bocelli's concert sounds amazing! Way to go with your strength training. It is non existent for me right now. I need to work on that.

    I am loving summer and spending time outdoors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I'm the opposite of you, you've been doing a lot of running, but running has been non existent for me. I need to work on the running. =) Hurray for summer!!!

      Delete
  14. Hopefully the time off from running will leave you with fresh legs to prepare you for RNRChicago. We keep signing up cause they are so much fun! :)
    I am so enjoying my summer. It is filled from one trip to another. Now if I can just keep up with my workouts and eating in check I'll be doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia - I hope so! The idea of fresh legs sounds heavenly right now. =) Yes, usually once I get my rhythm going at races, I remember why I keep signing up for them. I am so envious of all your camping and travels this summer - you really know how to live it up. It's always an adventure finding out where you've visited each week! =)

      Delete