Thursday, March 26, 2015

All that jazz

I've quite literally got a lot of jazz in the works!

Tonight...
My friend Rose and I are attending a Chicago Blues and Jazz Tour. It includes a soul food dinner, speakeasy drinks, and live music that explores Chicago's musical history and architecture from north to south. Very cool!

These signs were on display at a Chicago History Museum exhibit focused on Chicago's jazz and blues scene.

Side notes: I think the Green Mill is the coolest jazz club in Chicago, and I've been dying to check out Kingston Mines. I think this tour is really going to whet my appetite for further exploring Chicago's various music venues. I credit visiting New Orleans for my renewed interest in jazz these days.

Saturday night...
Speaking of New Orleans! Adam and I are going to a Preservation Hall Jazz Band concert. Many thanks to Maggie for the tip that they would be in town.

Preservation Hall in New Orleans

Adam and I didn't get a chance to check out Preservation Hall while we were in New Orleans, so I am super excited that their band is coming to Chicago.

It is going to be amazing to experience and compare/contrast Chicago/New Orleans blues/jazz within the span of 48 hours. I hypothesize there are a lot of cross-influences between the two. Let's find out!

So what other jazz is going on other than all that jazz?

Ravinia!
The Ravinia Festival just announced their 2015 concert schedule. This year's line-up is fantastic and very diverse - there is something for everyone!

Here are some of the shows that caught my eye:
  • June 25 - Sheryl Crow
  • June 26-27 - Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga
  • July 5 - Beethovan's Appassionata
  • July 8 - Porgy and Bess
  • July 12 (my birthday!) - Disney's Fantasia
  • July 29 - Brahms First Piano Concerto
  • August 1 - Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture
  • August 2 - Gladiator Live
  • August 7 - Harry Connick, Jr.
  • August 8 - Ramsey Lewis
  • August 20 - Chopin and Rachmaninoff

Beyond what I've listed here, I am always up for any performance featuring the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Add a pianist, and I'll be as happy as a baby in a tub!

Ahhh, Ravinia! One of the symbols of Chicago summertime.
Source

Any other jazz/blues lovers out there? Concert-goers in general? Ravinia goers, what performances are you most looking forward to?

22 comments:

  1. So funny- this week you are revealing all your similarities to my husband! haha! He's a jazz lover, so I've been to a lot of jazz shows since we started dating. He loves music in general though, so we go to a lot of concerts. We agree the most on Bluegrass, but we've been to all genre shows. My FIL actually works at Ravinia as his retiree job, so we go at least once per year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that is too funny!!! I had no idea that Rich was into jazz and music in general. It must make for some awesome date nights for you! And that is so funny about Ravinia too because I worked as a concert usher there when I was in high school!!! All the connections!!!

      Delete
  2. Hm ... I'm afraid to admit my lack of music culture these days. The most recent concert I went to is Pitbull. Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lack of music culture - everyone has different interests! Pitbull, eh? That sounds really intense!

      Delete
  3. Oh how fun! I've never really been to any jazz shows in Chicago, but I do love going to shows when I get the chance. Live music is one of my favorite things! I went to Ravinia last year for the first time and thought it was a lot of fun. Fantasia sounds like it would be a really cool show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I read your post about Lolla (haven't commented yet, will do so soon)! You are quite the live music guru!!! I hope that you when you went to Ravinia, that you had good weather. There is nothing better than an outdoor concert at Ravinia or Millennium Park on a beautiful summer evening. I've never been to Lolla myself, but imagine that it would be an epic Chicago summertime experience - especially at night!

      Delete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE concerts! I've recently found some great artists I love are going to be at Summerfest. Haven't found anything particularly intriguing at Ravinia this year (no offense). I would love to attend Lolla but it seems so intense to me these days (at my old age of 42).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I haven't looked at the Summerfest lineup yet, but they are another AMAZING outdoor summer concert venue. Which artists are you most excited for there?

      I agree with you on Lolla - I don't know if I can handle the madness at my age, either!!!

      Delete
  5. I've been to events at other places, but this was my first time in here. Great San Francisco venues. Food was good and seating was very comfortable. Also, very good view from where I sat. This is such a cool venue and the atmosphere was equally amazing.

    ReplyDelete