Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Janky, janky

At the race expo last week, I underwent a gait analysis. I've always been instructed to wear a neutral running shoe, and this instance was no different. However, I received some different running advice this time around.

The man performing my gait analysis (we'll call him Mr. Gait Analyzer) asked if I was dealing with any injuries. I told him about my bout with IT band syndrome, which has thankfully been under control these days. I also mentioned my stubborn piriformis syndrome.

Mr. Gait Analyzer showed me a video of my stride. He pointed out that my lower leg exhibits a noticeable angle when my foot hits the ground (he gave me the actual angle measurement in degrees, but I forget the exact number). Additionally, my footstrike exhibits a distinctive outward roll.

The technical term is that I underpronate. I believe it's also called supination.

I am the poster child for the underpronation diagram on the left.
Source

I have actually been keenly aware of my janky footstrike for quite some time. The outer soles of my running shoes wear down much more quickly than everywhere else. Plus, the underpronation is visible in some of my race photos. Here is an example from the 2013 Prairie State Half Marathon:


I always cringe when I see the jankiness caught on camera. I think it looks horrifically awkward. But when I am running, my footstrike doesn't feel awkward or painful to me. It's just my natural stride.

Mr. Gait Analyzer explained that the underpronation puts added pressure on the piriformis. This is because the foot's outward rotation forces the piriformis (and the entire lower body, really) to compensate for the uneven motion and unequal distribution of weight. He advised that I try to work on changing my stride to a more centralized footstrike.

The diagnosis and Rx both make perfect sense. However, it is much easier said than done to change your pronation.

I've given it a couple of tries. During my short runs, I've been focusing on trying to land more on my inner foot. However, it feels incredibly stiff and awkward. I feel like I lose all fluidity in my stride and that my feet are slapping the pavement. Plus, my feet hurt afterwards. In short, I feel like a fish out of water. Or maybe a fish trying to learn how to run.


On a side note, this is actually the second time I'm working on changing my stride. I used to be a heel striker, but several years ago I turned myself into a midfoot striker. That transition was not very difficult. It felt like a much more natural change than altering my pronation.

Honestly, I'm surprised that I am still being diagnosed to wear neutral running shoes. My footstrike looks anything but "neutral" to me! But, I will leave this to the experts. It probably says something that different experts have all given me consistent shoe diagnoses over the years, too.

I'm not sure if this pronation change is something that just requires time (a lot of time) to get used to, or if it requires more specialized focus? I'm going to keep working at this in the coming weeks and we'll see what happens.

To be continued.

22 comments:

  1. I def see the supination in the picture you shared, but it's not the first thing I noticed. I was distracted by your calves! Nice muscles!

    I've casually tried to change my gait here and there, but nothing really specific. I did read Chi Running, which touches on that. The biggest thing I remember from that is that they suggest you make any changes one at a time and realllllly slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Amy! Thank you!

      I am interested to hear further details on how you've tried to change your gait. Please elaborate! And thanks for the tip on Chi Running - I will add it to the list of books that I will try to find at the library to read. It certainly does make sense to make these types of changes really slowly (as my aching feet would certainly attest).

      Delete
  2. I've worked on my footstrike some and used to worry about what it looked like too (which is over pronation). Then I saw Rita Jeptoo run and decided it really doesn't matter what it look like if it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point. It sounds like your footstrike hasn't been the culprit of any injury issues for you, so you are very fortunate! Very interesting observation regarding Rita Jeptoo. I've never really noticed anything unusual about her stride (I am always so blinded by her sheer speed, LOL). I will have to take a closer look now!

      Delete
  3. You can join Kim in the supination camp! I think the reason you can run in neutral shoes is that most other shoes correct overpronation and wearing those will just make you supinate even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on Kim and I having similar strides! It's probably not a coincidence that she and I both wear Asics Gel Cumulus shoes, LOL. Good info on the overpronation design of most other shoes. Presumably there's a reason why they don't make shoes that correct supination? If I ever get a chance to talk to a running shoe designer, I'll have to ask that question!

      Delete
  4. An underpronater! I've never known an underpronater before! You're unique! Haha. Personally, I overpronate, though apparently not enough for anyone to think I need stability shoes. I've had my gait analyzed several times, and no one's ever told me to switch out of neutral, and I feel no desire to push the issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very privileged to be the first underpronater that you've ever known. =D I find it interesting that I'm an underpronater and you're an overpronater, but that we've both been diagnosed to wear neutral shoes. In fact, we've both worn the Asics Gel Cumulus! Maybe these running shoes are not as customized as I thought? I would be interesting in finding out what constitutes the need for support/stability shoes, given how much variability there is across us neutral shoe wearers.

      Delete
  5. I'd be cautious listening to folks who say change shoes, buy orthotics and change your stride. etx. You run how you run & changing it drastically will Impact you in other ways. When I went to PT the first thing I asked my therapist was : should I change shoes or buy orthotics? And she said NO. You can fix muscle imbalances and other physical things which are the underlying cause of the injury but not going after the root cause will perpetuate the problem. That's the main reason I stuck around for 4 months of PT because I trusted her. My opinion for you is find a good sports PT to work with that can help you work out the issue that is causing the PF. I don't think simply changing your stride or shoes will fix it, you'll probably end up with some other issue because now you're putting stress on another area. Just my 2 cents ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice! I've gone through two stints with PT, and both times I worked to strengthen my hips and core. Neither PT ever mentioned trying to change my shoes or stride. So that does say something. Is it bad, though, that I'd like to change my stride just because I hate how janky it looks? Alas, I do know that it's not about appearance, it's about performance... =) In any event - I am really glad that you were able to work with such a wonderful PT that you trusted! It's awesome that your PT was so successful!!!

      Delete
    2. My stride was super janky before. Both knees would turn in causing my feet to kick out quite a bit. After going to PT & also not running for a month, my stride looks nearly normal. My PT also said that women especially will have less fluid looking strides because our hips are wider than men wich causes it to be off a bit. I really think the only way to change your stride the rigt way is to not run for atleast a month and do all sorts of PT exercises. Then you will forget the bad muscle memory. If you look at elite woman marathoners, most of them have some really strange strides too. Obviously works for them :)

      Delete
    3. Great feedback, Xaar! Great point about how a woman's natural anatomy will change our strides a bit, too. You are the second person that has referenced the elites having some strange strides - someone else mentioned Rita Jeptoo in particular. Now I am curious to go find some video and try to observe more carefully.

      Delete
  6. This is so interesting. I too am a supinator and I have piriformis issues as well. Every gait analysis I've ever had puts me in a neutral shoe as well. I think what Xaarlin said is valid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Very interesting to hear that you and I share similar strides, issues, and shoe recommendations. I remember from our discussion at Soldier Field that you and I have very similar tastes in shoes, too! Apparently there is a method to the madness. =)

      Delete
  7. Good luck working on your stride. It's so hard to change things when you are use to doing it a certain way for so long. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, appreciate the good wishes! Yes, it is tremendously difficult to change these things that are engrained into our muscles. (Can I use this as the excuse for why I have such a sweet tooth, too? LOL)

      Delete
  8. It's interesting to read through these comments on changing stride. I don't think I've ever had a significant recommendation about that, so I can't comment, but I completely see Xaarlin's point on strengthening/working on the muscle side of things. With my shoulder injuries, it wasn't "change how you swim or bike" as it was loosen certain (tight) muscles, and then strengthen the right muscles I hadn't been using.

    I now am seeing more and more clinics on how to "activate the right muscles" for running. I'm going to one in a few weeks and will be looking forward to sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great feedback, Lauren! I agree that the PT-type approach seems to be more holistic than changing your stride. (Case in point - I've developed pain in my left knee as a result of trying to change my stride. Perhaps I've tried to make the change too quickly, but it does make me wary.) I've been hearing a lot recently about how to activate the right muscles, too. I am really looking forward to hearing the recap from your clinic after you attend!

      Delete
  9. Hooray - we are shoe sisters. I OVER pronate. So if we combine our two feet together, we would be the perfect runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I think you're the first person I've ever met who is an overpronater! What type of shoes do you wear? Stability shoes?

      Delete
    2. Yep, pretty much. Right now I'm shopping. Ever since Saucony revised the Hurricanes down to a lighter frame a few years ago, I haven't found a shoe that I really love. :-(

      Delete
    3. I hate when manufacturers make significant changes to their shoes! I LOVED the Asics Gel Cumulus 13, but haven't been as much a fan of their subsequent editions. It's a huge bummer!

      Delete