Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thinking out loud

Another new-to-me linkup! Today I'm participating in Thinking Out Loud Thursday, hosted by Amanda.


Weather stalker
Over the past week, I've been watching DC's weather forecast like a hawk. Things are not looking good for the half marathon this weekend. Originally, the meteorologists were forecasting rain almost the entire week and weekend. But now, they are only forecasting rain starting Friday night through Saturday night. PERFECT timing for a Saturday morning half marathon!


After the torrential rainstorms that I experienced at the Chinatown 5K and Disney Wine and Dine last year, I thought my luck would swing in the other direction. But then I remembered the unexpectedly fantastic weather we had at the F^3 Half Marathon in January. It's quite possible that I've used up all of my good weather blessings for that day. (It was very well worth it, though.)

Fingers crossed for this Saturday.

Race-cations!
Yesterday, I talked to my friend Smita, who I haven't seen her in forever! She's considering signing up for the Rock N Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon and some other races. I told her that I would love to go to Philly to visit and either spectate or run the race with her. That got us talking about other races we could do together, whether in Philly, Chicago, or as a getaway weekend. Maybe even to a tropical destination?!? I have never run with Smita, ever, so I am beyond excited to plan something!


This year's Disney Wine and Dine is under consideration, since Smita has a 4-day weekend. Also under consideration would be any other races within driving distance of Philly that same weekend (November 6). Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions?!?

A triple tangent
Since we're talking about (west) Philadelphia... I LOVED watching the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air as a child. Over the past week or two, I started watching it again in syndication. To this day, I still love it and I still think it's the funniest show ever!

Carlton always knew how to let loose on the dance floor!

    Since we're talking about dancing...
    my Zumba instructor is an amazingly good dancer. Even when she is improvising, she still looks great. She is really inspiring me to work on my dancing skills. These days I'm learning to let loose without judging myself. I can really see the difference in the mirror when I'm dancing halfheartedly and/or self-consciously.

    Since we're talking about fitness classes... I got an email promo for a 30-day new-client membership at the Bar Method (my thoughts on them here) for $50. The normal price is $75 so this is a great deal. The only thing is that my company's fitness center already offers a wide bevvy of great, FREE classes (although, no barre classes). I'm debating whether it would be worth it to fork out extra dough just for barre?

    Other randomness
    • On a recent run, I was wearing New Balance shoes, Feetures socks, Pearl Izumi tights, a Nike sports bra, an ASICS shirt, a Sugoi jacket, Mizuno gloves, and Saucony hat. No joke. A brand ambassador I am clearly not.
    • Adam and I flew Southwest to DC. Yesterday, Adam checked in within 30 minutes of the check-in window opening. He got an A58 boarding pass. Comparatively, I forgot to check in until almost three hours had passed. I didn't buy any special upgrades or anything. Yet, I got an A27 boarding pass. Very bizarre!

    14 comments:

    1. I love the Carlton dance!!!

      As for the Southwest thing... Maybe it's ladies first? 😜

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. The Carlton dance is CLASSIC!

        If Southwest was really doing a ladies first boarding procedure, cheers to that!!! =D

        Delete
    2. Sending good weather vibes for you! And, if it rains, maybe it'll make your awesome race pictures even better? :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for the good weather vibes, Katie! Thanks also for the kind words on my race photo body spasms. I'll try my best not to disappoint! =D

        Delete
    3. Good luck in DC. And I've always wanted to go to Philly (or around there) to run a half because I have a blogger friend that lives there. I haven't been able to make it work yet.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Amanda! Oh my goodness, there are SO MANY amazing races to run in the northeastern quadrant of the U.S. I get overwhelmed everytime I look at the options! I hope you are able to make the plans work to meet up with your blogger friend in Philly very soon!

        Delete
    4. Good Luck with the weather on Saturday! After what we had to endure at Disney, I think you totally deserve some good ju-ju. Have a great race!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Jennifer!!! You definitely relate to the trials and tribulations at Wine and Dine - that was quite a "character-building" night, no pun intended. =) Here is hoping that we get good weather for Cinco de Miler (have you signed up!?!?!?)

        Delete
    5. I guess if nothing else, at least you have a lot of rainy race experience? I hope that doesn't happen, though! Good luck this weekend!

      Having taken dance for almost two and a half years now, I can honestly say I don't know if there's ANYTHING where "fake it 'til you make it" is more important to selling something. I think the only way mistakes are really obvious is when you're holding back. If you just go for it, it always looks so much better imo. When I was in band growing up, a lot of directors would tell us if we were going to make a mistake, they wanted us to make it loudly, and I think the same thing totally applies to dance!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Bethany! Good call on having lots of rainy day experience! That's a very optimistic spin on things. =)

        I was thinking about you with all of your dance classes! I know you TOTALLY get it when it comes to the "fake it til you make it" philosophy. Some friends and I were actually giggling about the "left shark" incident during the Super Bowl half time show. Left Shark definitely had it going! ;-)

        Delete
    6. I'm a fellow weather stalker too. My half on Saturday looks warm, humid and rainy. Not my ideal conditions. I hope you have a wonderful race!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Do you start stalking the weather 10 days or more in advance, too? I know that a lot of things can change with the forecast that far out, but I still torture myself, LOL. Congratulations on nailing your half this past Saturday, despite the insane humidity and conditions!!!

        Delete
    7. Praying you have nice weather for Saturday's race! That's funny about the airline thing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Appreciate the prayers, Amy! As it turns out, the flight was half full so the weird boarding pass assignment ended up not making a difference anyways. But we'll still take an earlier pass, right? =D

        Delete